Do you dive with a knife? How about a big knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knives001.jpg

That's a nice collection of knives you've got. I especially like #3. Apart from the occasional wilderness camping trip though I can't think of any time I could really get away with carrying a big Bowie and I certainly wouldn't want to take that beauty diving.

I have to know.....Which one is the pig sticker for when you go cave diving ? :D

The black one at the bottom, of course. Gotta be DIR.

---------- Post added April 10th, 2013 at 10:25 AM ----------

That's a nice collection of knives you've got. I especially like #3. Apart from the occasional wilderness camping trip though I can't think of any time I could really get away with carrying a big Bowie and I certainly wouldn't want to take that beauty diving.

That's the first run of Cold Steel Trailmaster bowie and the Carbon V steel that I bought back in 1986 or 1987, might even back in 1985. That steel is very ductile and takes a mean edge but it'd rust in a heartbeat. I have to keep it well lubricated whenever I packed it out in the boonies.

The black one at the bottom, of course. Gotta be DIR.
Maybe you could quit perpetuating the rumors that DIR and black are the only colors available please. You have been alerted that there is no such rule.

I was looking at my old dive knife in its trusty scabbard the other day . . .it reminded me of the time that my first stage became completely entangled in a massive blob of monofilament during a night dive. I was stuck face down on the bottom in the muck, couldn't move forward nor back nor up. Actually, wasn't even sure what the problem was at the time. An intraining DM came along and used his BFK to cut me free. The moral of this story is, that I wasn't able to reach my knife.

Then for many years I carried the snips attached to my bcd. Replaced them as each pair rusted out, unused. Haven't bought any new for a few years now.

In 20 years, there was the one event and my not so BFK was of no help to me at all. I am glad that the intraining DM had a knife, but I'll bet that one of those little line cutters would have worked just as well, if not better.

And all that said, what one carries and where, depends on where you are diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom