Do you dive Side-Mount or Side Slung??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this (the 'droves' part) really true?

There may be regional variance, but it's certainly popular here in Asia.

I am curious - what agency (not just an individual instructor like Rob, for instance) has developed written standards for SM that include these issues? I am not disagreeing with your statement that they are desirable, just wondering if any agency has gone that far. If so, I would love to see what they are.

I've not seen evidence of such standards either. Previously, and with more particular agencies, those standards could be left to the discretion of the instructor. Plenty enough recent examples are demonstrating that there are instructors out there who aren't capable or bothered to apply such standards... or are sufficiently under-educated as to not appreciate that issues like cylinder trim are generally considered critical aspects for successful sidemount technique/configuration.

Uh-oh, I just saw you status - 'Just bought 2 Dragers. My new pet project for 2013 '. I will have to watch what I say about rebreathers. :)

I am curious - what agency (not just an individual instructor like Rob, for instance) has developed written standards for SM that address these issues? I am not disagreeing with your statement that they are desirable, just wondering if any agency has gone that far. If so, I would love to see what those standards look like.

I offer sidemount certifications through TDI and IANTD. Neither addresses performance standards for cylinder trim or positioning. Those are not diver skills but rather gear set up. Now, control is a different issue. My students must show they can control their cylinders underwater. They have to unclip each cylinder and then both cylinders and move them in front of them several times during the last couple of dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom