Do you dip your SPG into water during service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You just hold the SPG so the opening is out of the liquid? Or you hold the SPG out of the liquid so only the threads are in the liquid?
I hold the SPG out of the liquid so only the threads are in the liquid.

Growing up, if I tried to dip anything besides my finger tips in the holy water the priest would have beaten me silly.

I don't re-use HP spools at routine service time...and as far as performing an emergency re/re...it's far easier changing out the spool with ''O'' rings already installed...than it is to fiddle with re/re'ing 003 ''O'' rings...

Depending on your purchasing source...you can buy spools for $2./$3. with VITON ''O'' rings already installed...

Check DGX...

As far as ''cleaning the SPG...I use a small plastic bristle brush on the threads...with the threads pointed down...and clean the inner barrel with a Q-Tip slightly moistened with alcohol...again threads pointing down...and finally give the threads a wipe with a lint free cloth...moistened with alcohol...again...threads pointed down...

No need to ultra-sound SPG`...with water...for any reason...

W.M...

SPG.jpg
HP Spools.jpg

@shurite7 thank you. But I also want to know if people dip that in ultrasonic to clean it?

Other posters are elaborating on this. I used to dip the threads into ultrasonic cleaner. Since then I've found the wire brush and q-tip work just as well without the chance of dropping the spg completely into the cleaner.

The reason i don't use a wire brush or any other mechanical cleaning first is because i don't want to dislodge any crud that will go up and block the bourdon tube. I agree that the chance is slight but dissolving the crud in the ultrasonic is just as easy so why not? If a little moisture gets into the tube its not really a big deal (it wont stop pressure transmission). Maybe over time it might be an issue but SPGs are not immortal anyway :)

There's more than one way to skin a cat as they say. Uh oh PETA's calling....

Back
Top Bottom