Do you carry a tourniquet when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If only there was some strong rubber hose somewhere, on a dive boat.......

Lol.

Implementing and understanding and being trained in the application and use of a tourniquet is the key. As long as you are trained and understand that application, then even a "do rag" or shoe lace and a stick can be as effective.....or more.....than an Amazon approved tourniquet. The key is to fully understand and implement the "concept" and purpose of a tourniquet.

I strongly disagree with both of the above. The answer for extremity arterial bleeding is a purpose built tourniquet.

Rubber hose? No thanks. Shoe lace or dew rag? No thanks. Prior research and experience demonstrates that improvised tourniquets are less effective and potentially more damage.

I’ll second the Do-rag and shoelaces are awful tourniquet alternatives. They cause tons of tissue damage and usually don’t stop the bleeding. The only alternative I would consider would either be a rats, tourniquet or a 2-3ft piece of surgical tubing. Both need to be wrapped 4 to 5 times around the Lim in order to exert enough pressure to squeeze off the artery. Also if you apply them correctly and tightly and put the wraps right up against each other additional tissue damage is minimal.

To the point of understanding, the principles in order to improvise, I would argue that if you have a spear gun, the best alternative for a tourniquet would be to use the bands from the spear gun. That’s still pretty janky and is VERY technique dependent which means you need to practice it a bit before you count on it as a life saving measure

All said and done, even shark bites don’t typically produce wounds you’d need a tourniquet to control the bleeding on.

Also something to think about, a purpose built tourniquet properly used prior to reaching definitive medical care may be a life saver for a boat propeller strike in addition to the much lower risk statistical risk of a shark bite...

Yeah, the last guy I did didn't give a rats arse, when unapproved uncoursed or qualified or practiced
I rose to the occasion with an electrical cord, him having splashed a couple of litres of blood around
close to death although he was a bit embarrassed his attempt was unsuccessful, he thanked me later

If only there was some strong rubber hose somewhere, on a dive boat.......

Lol.

Or thick nylon webbing... Wonder how well a cam band would cam over for shutting off blood flow?

Before we had the fancy and readily available tourniquets I had the unfortunate experience of having to use a field improvised tourniquet. Long story short, while in Iraq a car tried to bust through a control point. Driver caught a round in the left bicep from a 5.56 that went through the car door first. Only thing holding his lower arm to his shoulder was the skin on either side of his bicep. Muscle was shredded and humerus completely shattered. Cut a length of cloth from the dude's pants, then wrapped it high up against his shoulder with an overhand knot, used a one of the 4" long bolts that were rolling around inside of our Humvee as the handle, another overhand knot and proceeded to crank. Blood flow stopped almost like turning off a faucet.

Funny part was when the medic got there from the medivac he went to grab a pulse from dude's wrist. Medic had a puzzled look on his face trying to see how this guy was still semi-conscious with no pulse. Made a quick mention he might want to try to get a pulse from the arm without the tourniquet.

At any rate, as cheap and available as the modern tourniquets are, there's no reason not to have one in most any decent first aid kit. Direct pressure is nice if you have someone to assist with what is going on. But if it's just you and the patient and you have other things to tend to like needing to move the patient a distance, you'll need something more. Anyway, just my thoughts having been through the experience.

Or thick nylon webbing... Wonder how well a cam band would cam over for shutting off blood flow?
It works stunningly poorly. It's too rigid to work as a tourniquet. We've tried it out. You'll get better hemmhorage control kneeling into the patient's groin or armpit and tampenading off the artery with your knee.

Caveat: It works very well for a pressure dressing (likely more appropriate of a treatment for even a shark bite). You'd want to put the bulky dressing onto the wound, cinch the band snug and then cam it to create a pressure dressing. This style of dressing though doesn't even begin to deliver enough pressure to close off an artery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom