Do you actually see people diving with pony bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know we have multiple threads about ponies.

Just an informal little survey after a recent chat with friends and observing other divers out at the quarry.

Do you see people diving with pony bottles?

Where I've dived - the local quarry and Lake Michigan - I see a fair number of divers with them. One fellow I've seen several times lately had a small - 13cft, maybe - pony that had a very nice marbled red finish.

Folks I dove with yesterday: 2 had 40cft ponies. I had my 30cft. One was SM.

Seems like the serious cold(er) water divers I know of tend to have them if they're diving single tank BM and carry them habitually even if in warmer water.

The warm water, vacation only divers I know have never seen another diver with one.

Quite often. Mostly from SC and north.

What makes you say that? Have you been warm water, vacation diving?

Because I actually *asked* people. I surveyed the warm water, vacation only divers I know. They have never seen anyone with a pony bottle. Pictures of me diving with one raised a whole host of questions.

I see them regularly in Lake Jocassee due to association with local shops, sometimes elsewhere, but most people I usually dive with have gone to doubles/sidemount/ccr

I see quite a few around here.
- An instructor I know has a 19cf bottle with the reg on a longhose rigged to his single tank.
- I see at least 2-3 on Reef Check surveys and, except for one, they are all 13-19cf bottles strapped to the single tank. One guy slings a 40cf. All of these divers do solo surveys.
Of course, lots of doubles also.

Definitely seen them in warm water as well.
- One of the divers on the liveaboard I did in Kona had a really small one (maybe 8cf - it looked slightly bigger than my 6cf argon bottle)
- A solo photographer on a dive boat in La Paz was slinging a 30cf bottle.

Common anywhere I've been, water and cold... not among people who dive on vacation rather than take dive vacations. It's a specific tool that has added hassle, taskloading and even risks. Unnecessary to many types of diving and I know divers who would rather plan dives where they are unnecessary.

...I love mine sometimes... though it's rarely smaller than an al80.

Regards,
Cameron

Funny story: my regular dive buddy belongs to a dive club in the area. They're mostly warm water, vacation divers. He recently gave a presentation on the Lake Michigan diving we've done this summer. My pony is bright yellow and stands out in the pics. He got a lot of questions about it. He said he was glad they didn't notice I was diving a BP/W, as he wasn't sure how he would have answered those questions...

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom