Do vented ear plugs work? The topic comes up often.+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well if they do I'll have a boxful thanks

I've got my moderator's hat on here, happy-diver. Whilst your comment made me laugh out loud, it's not appropriate at this time.

Do you have a more discerning answer for the question?

I will love you no less @chillyinCanada if you delete my inconsequential comment from this fifty year old thread

Doc's Proplugs they're great mate

Quick Q to the wearers - Do they impede hearing ability UW? like hearing a tank banger when buddy is signalling you?
No they don't, you still hear every sound around you, they sit in the outer ear shell (if my terminoligy is correct) and not in the channel leading into the ear so it's not blocking out sounds.

I used to volunteer at the Aquarium and wore a full face mask with communication. I found I could hear better with them in. It maintains your airspace in the ear.

Most of the staff wore dry hoods. Some of that was cold water comfort but I think a big part was communication UW, which was critical.

On this same topic...

Vented plugs helped me out a lot when I first started diving. My ears seemed to get swollen feeling and tender, plus I would often still get water draining from my ears a few days after diving. When I started using plugs I was much happier. I haven't used them in years (kind of forgot about them), but I'm diving this weekend, and I think I'll try them out again.

My questions...

1) I usually put the plugs in my mouth to lubricate them so they slide into place easier. Is that a bad idea? Should I be using bottled water instead?

2) On the subject of lubricating/moisturizing ears, is mineral oil the only option? I find mineral oil irritating. Is there another option? Could I add a drop of vitamin e/c facial serum to my ears? ( Vitamin C Facial Serum ) I use this on my face, and find it is gently moisturizing and very calming to inflamed skin. Anything in there that might annoy my ears?

Docs Pro Plugs will attenuate sound somewhat, can't say how many Db. Usual foam or silicone ear plugs for hearing protection are listed around 30 Db.

My audiologist has recommended using vitamin E to soothe and clean my ear when using a hearing aid.

Back
Top Bottom