Do vented ear plugs work? The topic comes up often.+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wasn't asking a general question. I wear them with or without a hood all the time (pretty much every dive without my helmet). I was wondering why this user wrote:
skankpile:
they will now be used every time I'm not using a hood.

I wasn't asking a general question. I wear them with or without a hood all the time (pretty much every dive without my helmet). I was wondering why this user wrote:

I wrote that because when I wear a hood I don't have the inrush of water when I turn my head so its not such a big issue. When I'm not wearing a hood and I turn my head for the first time underwater and I get an ear full of cold water everything starts spinning; with a tight hood, or the plugs I don't have such an issue.

They do for me. (When I'm diving with my head getting wet)

Lots of good detailed info. given. I use them only to prevent lots of water from sloshing in, resulting in conditions described above. As a layman I tend to agree with DocV in that any help with equalization is suspect. But as you say they help, can you expalin in what way? Less pain when trying to descend? Having to equalize less often?

I have absolutely no science behind my observation but I dive with a guy that was going to give up diving completely due to equalization problems. He started using vented earplugs and never aborts dives anymore. In fact, he often beats me to the bottom now.

I don't know if its physical or mental but I know they work for him.

I have worn them for 10 years give or take.
The reason is that my ears don't drain well and after a couple of nights sleeping in a/c I end up with ear issues. By wearing the plugs, I have very little water enter the ear canal and thus I very seldom have ear issues.

It is not an issue with the current dives - it is an issue with a weeks worth of dives.

Subjectively, I think Doc's Pro Plugs reduce the reaction a person has to the entry of water into their ears. I have used these in the past then went over to a Pro-Ear mask. I have the same effect with the mask. The initial response to water entering my ears does not occur. I also have had a tympanoplasty in my right ear. Repeated soaking can result in pinhole leaks. So I keep the ear dry and can continue to dive.

Our local LDS started carrying the Doc's pro plugs and a lot of students purchase and wear them. I have seen folks with issues without them gain comfort and able to descend just fine with them. I personally have never used them.

As far as the IPA portion of the ear beer, it's been stated that 90%+ is recommended. I use the ear beer religiously here in south Texas due to the poo and goo in the lakes. I use it to treat ear issues when they start to show signs, and as a preventative post dive practice. Been a few years since I have had ear issues and I can only credit the Ear beer usage.

Mine is a simple 50/50 split of IPA 90%+ and distilled white vinegar. Have not used the peroxide for a third component yet.

Quick Q to the wearers - Do they impede hearing ability UW? like hearing a tank banger when buddy is signalling you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom