Do Underwater Cities Exist???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jptrealty:
well are there ANY underwater citie that exist don to say 300'??? NOT 2-6 tructures that have fallen apart, but a complete town, Existing buildings and homes

I would like to dve through man street so to speak

i seem to remember a discovery chanel special on one YEARS ago.

The straight scoop would be nice

Thank You
The only one I could think of recently was New Orleans. I am sorry, I just couldn't resist. Lake Moultrie in South Carolina has homes and roads underwater after the Army corps created the lake. I don't know how much is still intact.

I have been trying to find the same thing for some time now. I researched the Three Gorges Dam project in China. Looks like the government destroyed most of the buildings before the flooding. I have been trying to find out from anyone if any of the buildings were left up. Most of the dam projects that I have researched have come up with the same results. Seems like no one gives a dam about the divers when they build a dam. If anyone finds information, please let me know.

I sent a message to the editor of China.org, reguarding the Three Gorges Dam project in China. He Replied with the following,

Dear Michael Jenkins

Hi, I am editor from china.org.cn and I received your mail asking underwater landscape of Fengdu.

I made a call to the Chongqing International Travel Service today. They told me that all the buildings in Fengdu County are levelled before the Three Gorges dam stores water.

But, Baiheliang Cavings in Fuling City (see attached file 2)will be submerged after 2009. It's reported that a underwater museum will be built there for visitors.

Besides, a 65-km long plank road built along the Three Gorge cliff is also only be seen under the water at present. (Original landscape of the plank road pls see attached file 1)

Shuanglong Town along its rural areas in Wushan County will be submerged since the water level is up to 175 meters.

Wushan County will also be submerged in 2009. But there is no detailed info about its removing measures.

Hope my reply is helpful.

All the Best!

George Wang
China Internet Information Center

mjenkins52:
I sent a message to the editor of China.org, reguarding the Three Gorges Dam project in China. He Replied with the following,

Dear Michael Jenkins

Hi, I am editor from china.org.cn and I received your mail asking underwater landscape of Fengdu.

I made a call to the Chongqing International Travel Service today. They told me that all the buildings in Fengdu County are levelled before the Three Gorges dam stores water.

But, Baiheliang Cavings in Fuling City (see attached file 2)will be submerged after 2009. It's reported that a underwater museum will be built there for visitors.

Besides, a 65-km long plank road built along the Three Gorge cliff is also only be seen under the water at present. (Original landscape of the plank road pls see attached file 1)

Shuanglong Town along its rural areas in Wushan County will be submerged since the water level is up to 175 meters.

Wushan County will also be submerged in 2009. But there is no detailed info about its removing measures.

Hope my reply is helpful.

All the Best!

George Wang
China Internet Information Center

Not quite true - although most buildings have been bulldozed from what I've heard theres some parts of temples left behind (stone staircases, carvings, statues, etc)... Only a hand full of dives have been done there though: expect to hear more about it next year.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Table Rock Lake in Southern Missouri, near Branson was form in 1958. When it was flood the small town of Oasis was abandoned and now rests in 100 ft of water. You can swim down main st. It does reqiure a boat to access it and is out in the " middle" of the lake which makes it a bit difficult, just beware of other boats.

http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/TableRockLakeMO.html

Go to Cornwall Ontario just west of Quebec border. Not sure if charters do these sites from your side of the border. When the St. Lawrence seaway was deepened they sunk ~11 towns I believe. The Fire dept in the area and rescue services used the towns to train in worst case scenarios so not alot of structures left. There are streets which today still just disappear into the river.We did not do the swim down main street but what I remember there are roads, basements, sidewalks still there, the old locks(lock 21) is a shore dive that is totally intact. There is also a intact hydro station (boat dive)- generators and turbines, intake/output all in place 70' the deepest I believe. Small brick building on top was demoed for boat trafic safety. You can enter the water outputs and move into the pipes that exited the generators up to the turbine blades very cool!!! usually a few half decent sized catfish in there. The turbine blades make a funny noise as your bubbles hit and go through them. We only had 1 day of boat diving there and did the lockes on the sun morn shore dive and then had to leave but I'm sure there are other great dives there.

Sunken Cities is favorite topic of mine.

I don't think we will ever be diving down Main Street as you picture it. However, we do know that the water levels have risen worldwide in the past 10,000 years. There are pockets of submerged civilizations that are just waiting to be discovered.

It has been in the last 50 --and the advent of Scuba--that these lost civilizations are being found. One of the most impressive is the site off of Alexandria, Egypt. There was a great documentary on Discovery about this city that is in 20 feet of water--that was once Cleopatra's palace.

Of interest to divers...most of these sites are in less than 50 feet. One of my friends (an archeologist) found some ancient artifacts a month ago off of the California coast.

There are some sites that have been found that are cloaked in mystery--One site off of the coast Yonaguni, a small island in Japan,that is very impressive. I traveled there with a documentary team after it was first discovered. This site is still my most memorable dive location. It is a megalithic stone structure that is almost impossible to describe.

You can get more information about this site at www.teamatlantis.com

Seattle in Winter, Spring and Fall. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom