do transmitters fail?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They do fail, I’ve had one fail after years of use, SPG’s also fail and when they do usually a lot of bubbles involved and you’re flying blind and running out of gas.
Tests show that a burst HP hose takes over 20 minutes to empty an Al80. Hardly an emergency, just end the dive. Failure of an LP hose is an entirely different animal.

Tests show that a burst HP hose takes over 20 minutes to empty an Al80. Hardly an emergency, just end the dive. Failure of an LP hose is an entirely different animal.
I agree but what if it’s already at the end of the dive? Just playing devils advocate, I’m a believer in the trust but verify train of thought, I don’t spend time worrying over potential failures, I know my gear and if something seems wonky I’ll switch to a back up. My transmitter failure was an electronic failure and I still use the dead transmitter as a quick plug for a back up reg set.

I don’t spend time worrying over potential failures, I know my gear and if something seems wonky I’ll switch to a back up.

I think that a good definition of technical diving would be "worrying over potential failures".

I know my gear, but I still do that, since sometimes the first sign of "wonky" is failure at depth.

On the other hand, I do agree with you about the problem with a leaking HP hose or fitting. If any relatively new diver has a sudden gas leak like that, they will probably treat it as an emergency, as they should.

I think that a good definition of technical diving would be "worrying over potential failures".

I know my gear, but I still do that, since sometimes the first sign of "wonky" is failure at depth.

On the other hand, I do agree with you about the problem with a leaking HP hose or fitting. If any relatively new diver has a sudden gas leak like that, they will probably treat it as an emergency, as they should.
I like to think of it as prepare/innovate rather than worry, semantics for sure but for me “worry” is what those people who fear the ocean, because of sharks, do.

I like to think of it as prepare/innovate rather than worry, semantics for sure but for me “worry” is what those people who fear the ocean, because of sharks, do.

Yup, I think that we are saying the same thing - a semantic issue!

I do agree that some people are so risk averse that they never get in the water. I respect the sport, I spend a lot of time considering potential failures, but when you get to the point of addressing three simultaneous failures, you simply can't carry enough gear to prepare for all of that.

Not trying to be a smart a$$ - my perspective as a solo diver is that everything fails. A transmitter failure should (?) be obvious pretty quickly, and I'd bet it's not too common. Still, I ended up keeping my SPG as a redundancy. I also carry 2 cutting tools even though I've never been tangled in anything except the dive flag line. Obsessive? Maybe. But it's easy enough to carry redundant gear. It's much better to not need it and have it than not have it and need it.

My perspective as a solo diver differs from @Kharon. I do not dive with a back up SPG to my AI transmitter. I do, however, carry a spare SPG and HP hose in my save a dive kit in case I need to replace the AI transmitter for any reason during a dive trip. As a solo diver, I do not dive with a back up SPG because I dive with a redundant air source.

My perspective as a solo diver differs from @Kharon. I do not dive with a back up SPG to my AI transmitter. I do, however, carry a spare SPG and HP hose in my save a dive kit in case I need to replace the AI transmitter for any reason during a dive trip. As a solo diver, I do not dive with a back up SPG because I dive with a redundant air source.

I do both. SDI solo course emphasises redundancy virtually everywhere. Not the SPG, that's just my OCD kicking in. Also, it allows me to check the tank pressure and take a few breaths without turning my computer on until I splash, and should the transmitter fail, I can continue the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom