do transmitters fail?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drea13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am currently using a aqualung 550c, i am a little neurotic about keeping my eye on my gas, and I hate always having to look down.
Thinking about making that switch to an air integrated wrist computer, specifically the shearwater Teric. Would the transmitter take the place of my i550c on my regulator? Are there any worries about the transmitter failing and your diving blind?

Thanks!

Unlikely, but like all electronics there's what's known as the bathtub curve. Meaning there's a higher probability the electronic device will fail early after manufacturing, then be reliable for its service life and then as it ages the probability of failure will begin to increase.

This logic could be applied to regulators as well. Most regulator issues occur right after being serviced, then work great for a few years before the probability of failure begins to increase again.

A visual example of what I'm describing. This graphic is for illustration and doesn't apply to AI transmitters.

bathtub.gif

As far as the transmitter replacing your current AI computer, I would. You could have two computers, but for recreational no stop diving I don't see the need for two computers. If you have an SPG, I'd throw it in your save-a-dive kit just in case you have an issue and don't want to miss a dive trip.

They do fail, I’ve had one fail after years of use, SPG’s also fail and when they do usually a lot of bubbles involved and you’re flying blind and running out of gas. All gear can and will fail at some point, maintenance and inspection can lessen the chances. Expect the unexpected and have a plan implanted in your head, easiest one to implant first is evaluate the situation and end the dive if you can’t correct it.

Just had my regulator serviced.... trip coming up in July, looks like it’s getting a test in the pool beforehand. I believe I will use both to begin with, once I am comfortable with it’s reliability perhaps I will make the full transition. Thanks for the info.

Unlikely, but like all electronics there's what's known as the bathtub curve. Meaning there's a higher probability the electronic device will fail early after manufacturing, then be reliable for its service life and then as it ages the probability of failure will begin to increase.

This logic could be applied to regulators as well. Most regulator issues occur right after being serviced, then work great for a few years before the probability of failure begins to increase again.

A visual example of what I'm describing. This graphic is for illustration and doesn't apply to AI transmitters.

bathtub.gif

As far as the transmitter replacing your current AI computer, I would. You could have two computers, but for recreational no stop diving I don't see the need for two computers. If you have an SPG, I'd throw it in your save-a-dive kit just in case you have an issue and don't want to miss a dive trip.

They do fail - either in paring or running out of juice. I always recommend diving a backup computer, especially when traveling, to avoid being blind re NLD and air remaining. I suggest either diving two AI computers (one hosed and one wireless) or an AI computer, a non AI computer and a SPG.

Tons of threads on this topic- do a search. It always comes down to your comfort level and risk tolerance. I carry a second AI computer, a mini spg the size of a nickel on a thin milex hose attached to my LP inflator hose and an extra transmitter in my parts bag.

I've never had a transmitter fail between me and my girlfriend on over 500 combined dives.

What kind? PPS? ScubaPro? Suunto?
Scubapro, the old flat battery one, I still use it as a quick removable plug on a back up reg. It just quit working one day.

Back
Top Bottom