Do Suunto computers go through batteries unusually fast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got a Vyper Air (not air integrated though) that seems to go through batteries very fast. I wouldn't have given it a thought, but my Suunto Core watch that goes through batteries much faster than any of my other watches too.

My Zoop still has its original battery, going on two years and 75+ dives.

I just put in it's third battery in four years and 100 or so dives.

This Zoop is the only one I've owned, so I know squat about others...but that doesn't sound right three batteries in four years...

I've got a Vyper Air (not air integrated though) that seems to go through batteries very fast. I wouldn't have given it a thought, but my Suunto Core watch that goes through batteries much faster than any of my other watches too.

How many dives/dive hours per battery?

My Vyper air (with AI) was about three years old and 100 dives before I changed batteries just because it seemed about time and i was headed for Truk Lagoon.

Vyper Air here... The original battery only lasted about 50 dives (35 diving hours roughly) but since I don't know the shelftime of the computer before I bought it, this probably isn't representative. The second one lasted some 140 dives (about 100 diving hours) and actually I've done another 60 dives on the third - no low battery warning so far.

I changed them pretty much right after the warning came up, so I probably could have done a few more dives with them, but since they are quite inexpensive, I rather play on the safe side.

Maybe shelftime of the batteries in general is a problem. I never purchased the original Suunto battery kit (original o-ring was still fine and reusable - lubricated it slightly with vaseline, though) since you never know, how long it's been out there already, but bought a brand new, quality battery instead (duracell in my case, but I think energizer, Varta etc. will do perfectly as well).

Cheers,
Peter

I have a Vyper Air too.
My first battery lasted about 80 dives before I had to change it (Lasted 10 dives past low battery warning before it was too angry at me to display info, dove with a back-up computer just to see how long I could stretch it. Although, even when it was angry and wouldn't display anything while diving it still recorded all the dive info and I could transfer it onto my computer). I dive cold water and I know that that changes battery life.
The other thing I noticed is if I don't properly wash and dry off the little electrodes on the back it would remain in AC mode (one time I didn't notice for a whole week!) Which I'm sure also affected its battery. I'm 50 dives into the new battery and no issues yet.

Ah, the intensive use of compass and backlight contributes to battery life as well - My experiences posted above are without compass and backlight - I prefer my sk8 and if it's dark I usually have a torch in my hand and flash it quickly at the computer rather than spending a thought on which button to press in order to turn backlight on :wink:

Is it remaining in dive-mode after the dive?

Suunto computers are notorious for doing that and if this is the case then it could explain the high battery usage.

As a reference, I think I need to replace the battery in old Vytec about every 150-200 dives or so.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom