Do strobes harm marine life?

Are you concerned that strobes may harm marine life?

• I am not concerned, I don't think there is any effect.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I try to minimize any potential damage

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • I never thought about it - but I will from now

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • I won't use a strobe because of the dangers

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I believe the photographs are worth the dangers

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just gotta put my two cents in about strobes and sleeping turtles...it doesn't seem to bother our residents at all. Most of our "resident" turtles have been at the same spot for 12 months or longer (some several years). They get photographed nearly every day. Most photographers use internal strobes only, so I can't say much about the more powerful ones. Our dive sites only cope with a small (less than 40) divers per day (and that is probably an overstatement of numbers most days) and of those, probably 5 - 10 carry cameras.

On the turtle shots you will see in my posts soon the same turtle is in the same spot each dive. He sleeps through it all. If you are really lucky, he will swim to the surface, have a breath or two and come right back down for another nap. sometimes I use the strobe, sometimes I don't. Either way I'm a lucky lucky girl if he will even open his eye for me.

On the other hand, at another site there is a smaller turtle that has a favourite spot. For ages I took photos without a strobe for fear of frightening it away. Then one day, months later, I took two with strobe. no reaction. From then on, I take most of them with strobe (internal and with my Ike 50 when I was shooting the Canon A70).

Conclusion? I have none. But maybe it is a matter of individual turtles in individual locations rather than never take a strobe shot of a sleeping turtle. AND these are all during the day, so who knows what happens at night...

Back
Top Bottom