Do strobes harm marine life?

Are you concerned that strobes may harm marine life?

• I am not concerned, I don't think there is any effect.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I try to minimize any potential damage

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • I never thought about it - but I will from now

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I won't use a strobe because of the dangers

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I believe the photographs are worth the dangers

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
In another thread an accusation has been made that photographers 'harrass' marine life by using their strobes. In particular the effect of strobes on the eyes of fish has been called into question. What are your views on this? Is this something that we need to be concerned about? Does anyone have any tips to reduce any harm we might be causing with flash?

I'd be interested in seeing some scientific studies on this subject, but from my experience I've seen stationary fish dart away when I use my strobes. Not all the time, but enough times that I know they're reacting to the strobe.

One thing I try not to do is use a strobe on a sleeping sea turtle. Diving some lava tubes in Kauai a few years ago the boat captain told all the divers not to harass any of the turtles sleeping in the tubes, especially with strobes b/c the first reaction of turtles is to get away and take a breath -- sometimes they try to take a breath from the surprise of the flash and breath in sea water instead. I didn't have a camera back then, but there was a jerk who kept taking flash photos of the turtles and, lo and behold, the turtles woke up and immediately went for the surface for some air. After he did this a few times I went between him and his intended subject to screw up his shot. He wasn't too happy with me on the boat, but that's his problem for not following instructions. I'm sure there's some law against harassing sea turtles -- Endangered Species Act???

Merged by Dee from another thread on the same subject.

The uh, accusation I believe was mine, and it's not intended to decry underwater photography by any means. I apologize if if you think my statements hostile.
From the harassing marine life thread:
On the topic of blinding marine life, this is a tough call. Although a great deal is known about fish eye anatomy, and a moderate amount for the larger invertebrate groups, very little is understood about light tolerances.
What I DO know from deep sea work...
1. Lights from Alvin have been shown to permanently blind shrimps around hydrothermal vents. The operators are now aware of this and try to minimalize this.
2. The deepwater crab Eumunida picta has been permanently blinded by normal room lights. The ommatidia were likely fried by long term exposure by being in a laboratory aquarium... mine.
Deep sea critters of course have extremely sensitive eyes cued in to infrared or organic light. Shallow water animals are generally more tolerant. Underwater photographers have reported stunning or dazing animals with strobes or high powered lamps like HID's. "Stunning" from high light bursts seems to be a common behavioral characteristic across the board, be it insects, deer, or even people. This is a less obvious form of harassment, but it IS harassment nevertheless.
If you keep up with the underwater photography forums you'll occasionally read how many folks are sensitive to blinding animals and minimalize it if they can. This seems to be an increasing trend that I hope spreads... I will certainly practice it with my science students this summer.

I suggest that marpacifica's comment from the double post be added here. They are quite informative, and I believe, accurate.
As to the specific question regarding minimizing eye damage, the best thing to do is simply not snap for than a few strobe shots at a time at a single critter. And as many posters have said all over this forum, keep HID and other high output lights off animals as much as possible. A good rule of thumb is not to expose an organism to light that you wouldn't subject yourself to. Although this isn't precise (human eyes being generally less sensitive), it's close enough for "government work."

Good question and an interesting thread. Strobe lights don't harm marine animals any more than they harm human eyes, ie, they can be blinding and disorienting--especially at night. Marine animals may become very vulnerable to predation after being flashed, and it's the responsibility of every shooter to stand watch as a protector until their subjects regain their composure after being photographed. Similarly, shining a dive light on small animals at night exposes them to predators. Larger predators such as tarpon, snook, and snappers have become very good at following night divers and their lights at several popular Caribbean resorts, and they use dive lights to hunt. In addition to protecting photographed animals, don't let your dive light loiter on prey animals at night.

archman:
The uh, accusation I believe was mine, and it's not intended to decry underwater photography by any means. I apologize if if you think my statements hostile.
Actually Archman - I wasn't referring to your post - it was an informed post, definitely not an accusation. I was referring to another writer who obviously thinks that using phrases like 'self-serving', 'hypocritical' etc contributes to a valid discussion. The topic he originally raised (however offensively IMO he did it) has some merit and deserves some discussion. I would be the first to admit that I hadn't really thought about this before - but I am now, hence this thread.

I don't worry about it to that extent. Like Arch sggests, I limit the number of pics I take. If I'm in a group with several photogs, I don't 'get in line' to get a pics of some creature that was found and pointed out. Critters like seahorses, frogfish, etc. will get so stressed that at the least they will move territories, and at the worst will die. I won't be a party to that.

As LD mentions, preditors conditioned to divers will take advantage of lights and night. That cute parrotfish laying there in it's night time bubble that you're focusing your light and camera on, will be a night snack for barracuda's, moray eel and even octopus.

We change the dynamics of the reef with our very presence 'down there', we should strive not to make things worse than we already have.

Didn't you see finding Nemo? Flashes stun the fish, making them dinner :wink:

In all seriousness, I think Archie covered it.

I would be ten times more worried about the actions of 95% of underwater photographers I have seen then their flash strobes. They become oblivious to their surroundings.

I have seen more underwater photogs fixated on getting the shot destroy life than any other brand of diver combined.

d33ps1x:
I have seen more underwater photogs fixated on getting the shot destroy life than any other brand of diver combined.

That's an interesting point. Most of the photographers I've seen however try to get as still as possible and keep all sedimentation down. This usually makes them exemplary regarding habitat damage.
Are there some other actions the photographers you're seeing doing to wreck the area? Maybe they're just crummy photographers!

Aggie Diver:
Didn't you see finding Nemo? Flashes stun the fish, making them dinner :wink:

Glad to see that film was good for SOMETHING.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom