do split fins really help reduce air consumption?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I think it really depends on the fin as to if the flutter or frog is more efficient. I know with my Tusa Imprex fins, frog kicks make for a nice leisurely relaxing pace, but I can't state one way or the other if it's more efficient than a nice relaxed flutter.

However, when I really need/want to cruise, the Tusa's go faster with a flutter kick.

Tonight I tried out a pair of Scubapro Jetfins. When you really need to cruise in a pair of jetfins, the frog is definately more efficient than the flutter...

So I think it definately depends on the design of the fin. Given that split fins are designed to require less work for a flutter kick, I would assume that would relate to a flutter with split fins to be more efficent... thus better air consumption... [but that's just my assumption.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom