do split fins really help reduce air consumption?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stokes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
suppose approximately similar situations, will a person using split fins consume less air than if he were using paddle?

in what situations would this hold false/true?

while i'm at it... how else can i improve on my air consumption?

the benefit of Split fins on air consumption is very little indeed, I tested half a dozen models aginst my Mares Avanti Quattros and noticed very little difference in air consumption.
By the way after testing them I went back to my Quattros. I am not a split fin fan.

To improve your air consumption practice breathing slow and deep all the time not just when diving.

The two best ways to reduce air consumption
Get fit, the fitter you are the less air you breath
and
Yoga is a great way to reduce air consumption. If you do classes and take the techniques underwater you will be amazed at the difference.

Cheers
Chris

To reduce air consumption...
Propper propulsion technique (frog kick) - All else being equal the frog kicker will use less air than the flutter kicker.

Good buoyancy control - without this you will work hard and breath heavy

Correct trim and streamlined equipment - Water is over 800 times more dense than air so even seemingly small changes in streamlining can make a huge difference

Slow down - All movements should be slow

Dive alot - If you are not comfortable both mentally and phisicly you will burn air

Propper thermal protection - If you are too cold or too hot you will burn air.

There are no shortcuts and anyone who sais there is I will call a liar. Do not buy split fins for $180 and think this will help anything. Buy real fins for 70 and use the 110 to go diving or give it to somebody who can teach you the things I mentioned above.

You can't buy efficiency in the water, you must learn and earn it.

Hi Mike,

Any opinions on why elite freedivers, who need the most efficient fins and kicks possible when setting dynamic apnea and constant ballast depth records, never (to my knowledge) use a frog kick? These guys are fanatics, testing different fins both conventional and mono, experimenting with different kicking styles and speeds to find the most effective combination. All they ever seem to use is a flutter kick or a dolphin kick. Any idea why they wouldn't want to use"Propper propulsion technique (frog kick) - All else being equal the frog kicker will use less air than the flutter kicker" Sounds like it would be easy to set new records with a frog kick, they must be missing a golden opportunity.

Ralph

rcohn once bubbled...
Hi Mike,

Any opinions on why elite freedivers, who need the most efficient fins and kicks possible when setting dynamic apnea and constant ballast depth records, never (to my knowledge) use a frog kick?
Ralph

Just to turn your argument back on itself - if split fins are so efficient, why don't all the top freedivers use them? Last time I looked they used massive blade fins.

Sorry for butting in, but I think that the freediver's needs are different to a scuba diver's - for one thing they aren't carrying their own bodyweight in gear!

I'm sure I can think of other reasons - I'll post them when I get a chance to have a think.

Chris

Tibbs once bubbled...
Just to turn your argument back on itself - if split fins are so efficient, why don't all the top freedivers use them? Last time I looked they used massive blade fins.

Doesn't alter my argument Chris, I've never said that split fins were more efficient. I'm only commenting on kicking technique at the moment. We have a claim that a frog kick is the most efficient way to kick. I've never seen (though they may exist) any studies that support this. I do know swimmers that need high efficiency in terms of air used for distance traveled and I'm not sure they use frog kicks. Freedivers have only a single breath, they work very hard to maximize efficiency. Not much frog kicking going on. While they don't have heavy dragging gear, they do leave the bottom heavy, sometimes fighting a large fish. Lots of force needed and again flutter kicks are normally used.

Another question, what do Military combat swimmers use for kicks? Does anyone know?

Ralph

Frog kick may not be as effective as a scissor kick if you want to move fast but seems to work well if you want to go slowly but efficiently. Freediver's air supply runs out before legs tire.

awap once bubbled...
Frog kick may not be as effective as a scissor kick if you want to move fast but seems to work well if you want to go slowly but efficiently. Freediver's air supply runs out before legs tire.

Any kick is easy on air if you go slowly, you're not exerting yourself.

The question I' asking is. Is this statement true?
Propper propulsion technique (frog kick) - All else being equal the frog kicker will use less air than the flutter kicker.
Is the frog kick the most efficient kick, will you really use less air than a scissors/flutter kicker? Is a frog kick the proper propulsion technique for all forms of scuba diving? And if so, what quantitative repeatable study has demonstrated this to be true? If the performance of a kick (or anything else with subtle differences) has not been measured, how can you claim to know what the most efficient correct (RIGHT) choice is?

Please note I'm not claiming that the frog kick is or isn't the most efficient, just that I see no real proof supporting that claim.

Ralph

rcohn,
Real good points. I'll try an answer. I admit I know nothing about record setting free diving but as someone else said in free diving you are onlly dealing with a time span of minutes. I don't know how but maybe thats part of the answer. As for a frog being better fo scuba divers...Not much fluttering going on in a cave (even in big tunnels with rock bottoms where silting isn't an issue) where penetration didtance is often the goal. In order to get the didtance you need to take max advantage of a fixed air supply and just carrying more is not the answer because there is a cost to that also. I could tell you of my personal air consumption but thats not a scientific study. I could tell of the consumption rates of my students but again I did not design an experiment specificly to prove this point. I do have one idea though practice and use a frog for a while and let me know if it helps you as much as others. You don't even need to measure the sac, the difference is so significant you can see it by watching bubbles.

There is also the mechanics of it. With every flutter you are also putting out the flaps (brakes). Doesn't the outward position of a flutter look just like the flaps on a plane? Your giving gas and brakes at the same time. You are also pushing water (and thrust)up and down. We divers are not allowed to break the laws of energy conservation so that means less to the rear. If you dont believe that watch under and behind someone using a flutter when they are anywhere near a silty bottom.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
As for a frog being better fo scuba divers...Not much fluttering going on in a cave (even in big tunnels with rock bottoms where silting isn't an issue) where penetration didtance is often the goal. In order to get the didtance you need to take max advantage of a fixed air supply and just carrying more is not the answer because there is a cost to that also.

My limited understanding is that the most important reason cave divers train to use the frog kick for its anti-silting properties. Divers tend to use whatever technique they are in the habit of using, so my guess would be they would tend to stick to the familiar frog kick. If you train your muscles to use one type of kick, it may become the most efficient kick for you. However, that doesn't mean you wouldn't achieve higher efficiency if you switched to a different kick and trained yourself to use it effectively.

I can't think of a diving example off hand so I'll use a non-diving one I'm familiar with. Hockey players are fast ice skaters and they have a certain style of skating, mostly pushing to the back. They are nowhere near as fast as speedskaters who use a different more efficient technique. You could teach a hockey skater the speedskating style (and I've seen it done many times) but until he has trained to really use it his old style will remain the most efficient (fastest) for him.

I could tell you of my personal air consumption but thats not a scientific study. I could tell of the consumption rates of my students but again I did not design an experiment specificly to prove this point.

It's not a controlled study, but it would at least be interesting. Have you compared a series of dives flutter kicking to a series of dives frog kicking (similar conditions and speeds of course) and seen a difference in air consumption? Just hearing a low SAC rate doesn't tell anyone much. You could train some students to use the flutter kick and some to use the frog kick and compare SAC rates. After experimenting with several classes, you might be able to form a preliminary conclusion. Remember my previous point, any unfamiliar kick is likely to produce mediocre results.

I do have one idea though practice and use a frog for a while and let me know if it helps you as much as others.

Unfortunately, I have very limited flexibility and the frog kick never works that well for me. I've learned to use it a bit, but it will never be my main kick. Also, I've had a hip problem in the past from too much whip kicking and egg beaters during my swimming days. Constant frog kicking is likely to bring it back.

You don't even need to measure the sac, the difference is so significant you can see it by watching bubbles.

That's just silly. I've been around enough frog kickers to know you can't tell the difference from the bubbles. I've trained myself to breathe deep and slow, are you suggesting I'd breathe less deeply using a frog kick?

There is also the mechanics of it. With every flutter you are also putting out the flaps (brakes). Doesn't the outward position of a flutter look just like the flaps on a plane? Your giving gas and brakes at the same time.

Many people use too wide a flutter kick, a narrow quick kick is more efficient than a slow wide kick with most fins, both paddle and split. No real point in comparing bad flutter technique just to try to make a point. The blades extend out to the side in a frog kick too, it's not drag free. It's not clear to me that there is any real advantage here.

The flutter kick allows a fairly steady input of power, maintaining a relatively constant speed. The frog kick uses a push and glide, you lose momentum on each glide and have to use energy to overcome the inertia again and again with each new kick. Flutter kicking you only fight the inertia when you come up to speed, after that drag is the only opposing forcer.

You are also pushing water (and thrust)up and down. We divers are not allowed to break the laws of energy conservation so that means less to the rear. If you dont believe that watch under and behind someone using a flutter when they are anywhere near a silty bottom.

Again not necessarily correct. While a flutter kick may push more water up or down it might also push more water back, if it pushes more water overall. Notice I say might. I haven't measured it nor have I read a report by anyone who has measured it so I have no idea how much water is pushed in any direction by either kick. The frog kick does have a slower turnover than the flutter kick, limiting the total amount of water that can be pushed.

Oh and back to the original split fin topic, the goal isn't to move water around, the goal is to generate forward thrust. The split fins generate additional forward thrust by increasing the lift produced by the blade, which increases thrust without shoving more water around.

My point is the hydrodynamics and physics of kicking is too complex to simply tell what is more efficient by looking at it, you need actual measurements to obtain a meaningful result.

Ralph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom