Do ScubaDivers have a need for Longfins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi John_B Thanks for the response. Just curious why more Scuba Divers don't use the longfins for more propulsion?
I think you'll find that some do.

I choose jet/turtle fins because I find that they move me through the water the easiest. They're much stiffer than free-diving fins, which tend to be long and flexible, compared to scuba fins, which tend to be short and stiff.

Im a new diver, Ive tried d jetfins & i can handle d weight. Is stiffer fins better? Am planning to get my own fins, but am considering also d weight for travel, since i have SS backplate.

Im a new diver, Ive tried d jetfins & i can handle d weight. Is stiffer fins better? Am planning to get my own fins, but am considering also d weight for travel, since i have SS backplate.
I'm guessing by your profile that English isn't your primary language, so please forgive me if I misunderstood your post.

I started diving with Oceanic Reflex fins, which have longer blades that easily flex, but find myself never using them after trying the jet/turtle fins. For some reason, I can't snorkel in the jet fins because the stiffness gives me cramps, but everything else I can do fine. I still believe jet fins to be the best value due to the fact that they work for the most basic of reef dives, all the way through tech dives that 99% of us will never do. Always nice when you don't have to rebuy gear as you progress.

I use both jets and free diving fins (picasso black team fins).

I love using my freediving fins to cruise around the reefs. Less kick cycles and more gliding. Plus they look so "porma"... :D

But for manuevering and fine motor movement (mainly looking between the nooks and crannies for the tiny critters) I choose my jets hands down.

Hi guys, I am curious do Scubadivers like to use long-fins at all?

Erik

While most divers prefer shorter fins to ease manoeuvering there are some places we regularly visit where all the DMs without exception use long fins because they have to tie on to the wrecks that lie between 24 and 42m, often with strong currents. So as soon as the wreck blips on the echo-sounder they have to get down as fast as they can, towing the bow-line.

I use my Ice fins where ever I dive. That includes caverns, reef, muck etc etc. As per your title, I don't need to, I just like to dive with my long fins.

Sometimes people tell me off because I use my long fins, saying it isn't necessary. Sometimes I get particularly upset because of the way they say it, but I mostly care not because I don't see a reason not to dive with my long fins. I don't damage corals or cause trouble. Sure divers bump into them (Ice fins are transparent), but you shouldn't be so close to me anyway! I'm always the slowest diver, so if you're behind me, it means you're scooting all over the place without a regard for anyone anyway.

EDIT: I've never tried the short fins (jets, turtles) before. Are they really that maneuverable? My maneuverability has never been compromised by the long fins, but I'd like some opinions.

I have found that Long Blade Fins can provide substanial thrust, however, they do not have the manueverability that is more important in scuba diving applications (as compared to freediving). In scuba manueverability and position keeping generally makes shorter fins more desirable. Also, unlike free diving, while scuba diving it is common to be very close to coral and long blade fins are more difficult to keep clear and prevent damage.

I know there are a bunch of people that don't think they have manueverbility issues with LongBlades and I can't argue with them. I can say that I am definately more manueverable with shorter fins.

This doesn't mean that speed is not important, as to quote Rodales, "our tests clearly show [speed is] a good indicator of a fin's overall performance. For example, the three fastest fins on this year's speed course were also the champs on the slalom and efficiency courses."

To attempt to summarize, Speed is important, but speed without control is problematic. Since there are some scuba specific designs that are very close to LongBlades in both efficiency and speed, the additional manueverability outweighs the loss in speed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom