Do ScubaDivers have a need for Longfins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I dove with Club de Plongee Barakouda in Bonifacio, Corsica a couple of years ago, all the DMs used super-long free-diving fins. I don't know if it was because they also use them for free-diving, or what. I don't speak French very well, so there wasn't a lot of chit-chat going on. They knew enough English to give me a full ration of s*** for using my "toys" (Force Fins). I had no problem keeping up with them, and they had no problem staying off the reef, but they were all slow easy dives in no current.

Last edited:
Correct me on this- longer blades, faster glides, Jetfins- maneuverability?
Im using Mares Quattro now, & its ok. Ive tried the jetfins also. & i can manage d weight.
Ive also tried the force fins, but I cant seem to move forward much during my open water check-out dives...although its very fast in confined pool sessions. ( maybe not correct finnings?)
What about OMS Slipstream? Another diver recommended it. Lighter in weight, but a bit more stiff than jets.
Im just a new diver w/ 48 logs & completing my gears. One concern is d weight for travel also.

One more.
My set-up is Halcyon SS Backplates. Apex reg. Suunto Vyper.
Cant decide on what fins to buy. Ive always dive in Galera & currents can be strong.
Ive been swept away twice. The first one on my very first night dive!
Getting more opinions from more experienced divers b4 i buy my fins.

I was just involved in a fin test that included most of the top free diving fins as well as shorter fins. Although the long blades proved to be very fast, maintaining the speeds with them was difficult. Even with fair amounts of rest none of us were able to match our first run speeds. Meaning even though we did not feel we tired, the clock showed that we were.

When we tested the shorter fins, the second run times were matching or beating our first run speeds, meaning that we showed a significant endurance improvement with shorter fins. Overall speed of the best performers were not significantly slower.

ok. so, i think il get short fins. Can u pls expound more? If fins are stiffer, will i be more prone to cramps if my legs r not strong enough? Any added info re OMS slipstream? Another diver said he upgraded fr quattro to Jetfins to Slipstream & he's very satisfied w/ d performance.
Im using Quattro now.

Longfins take some getting used to. Otherwise it can tire a person out very quickly. Especially the stiffer ones.

if you are using Quattros now and your happy stick with them. They have proven time and time again to be very good fins.

Longfins require a specific technique and their performance must be matched to the diver. The recent testing I was involved in had the weaker divers going faster the softer fins and the stronger divers going faster in the stiffer ones. It appeared that the stronger divers could simply overpower the more flexible ones, while the weaker divers could not appropriately flex the stiff ones.

The only constant was that all of the divers tired more quickly in longfins making the short fins faster in long run. ie. sacrifice some raw speed, but the average speed ended up being faster.

If you want brand suggestions- since you have tried and therefore have access to ForceFins, I would give them a serious chance. They are great fins

Ok. Ill try out d force fins again when i go diving in Galera w/c have strong currents.
Thks soooo much for all d suggestions & feedbacks. I really appreciate them.

Have a great week ahead & more fantastic dives!!
Be safe always!

Thank you for the messages guys! :D The reason I ask is because our company just signed on as distributor of Spierre Fins.

Having my scuba certification but doing 99% Freediving now, I was always curious (I've only gone on Scuba once after my C-card 9 years ago).

I did get a message from the manufacturer why some Freediving fins are longer than the Spearfishing fins.

Here is the response

Hi Erik

That ‘s a good question – the thing to keep in mind is that you don’t want the fin becoming too long for spearfishing as you then often have other problems such as lack of maneuverability when fighting fish and swimming off the bottom (clumsy feel). One needs to find a balance between a long and shorter fin, width also playing a factor. Free divers (apnea) often prefer longer fins e.g. 82cm+ and thinner fins as they are only propelling themselves down and up without carrying additional weight or having a need for directional changes.

I’ve made your fins 80cm which we’ve established through trial and error to be a good overall length for spearfishing and general freediving. Quite a few other brands have shorter blades though such as Omer so it’s mostly a personal choice. Some of the divers using my fins prefer shorter blades (77-78cm) but that is usually built as a custom blade.

I'm excited to purchase one pair for myself!!! Just wondering if Scuba divers have any use for them, would happily offer a discount :)

Best,

Erik
12168826672001375855.jpg

12168817491684356917.jpg

1216881383604077081.jpg

By the way, my favorite fins until these Spierres after having tried a ton have been Specialfins Hybrid Professionals. Unfortunately they're around $300 euros ~ $600 bucks!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom