Do photographers inadvertently harass marine life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The minute part of the undersea world that recreational divers see is the exact opposite of the vast majority of the largely lifeless mud bottom of the ocean. The continental shelf is only 8% of the ocean and runs between 100–200 m or 330–660'. Divers routinely visit less than 1% of that. I'm not arguing that we can't visibly impact some of those tiny areas, but is is far from the big picture.

The ocean barely notices a few clumsy divers that disturb the bottom. The same divers that endlessly fuss about other divers conveniently forget about what their boat anchor does, let alone what drag nets do that supply their fish mongers.
Because it is 8% we should destroy it? Nope. Doesn’t bounce back. Visit the Keys. You’ll see the big photo rigs, the flailing fins, the broken sea fans.

Because it is 8% we should destroy it?

Of course not. Read it again. Not 8%. Less than 1% of the entire continental shelf which represents 8% of the ocean. Nobody said clumsy divers are good for the ocean, but is not something to get hysterical about either.

Don't think that some minute part of the ocean you have the privilege of seeing, along with thousands of other divers, represents a significant part of the system. One 60 Lb/30KG anchor and chain does more damage that 100 overweighed tourist divers.

Hmmm some people must dive in nice clear water...:wink:

Very rare lol This taken in Bali with an Olympus TG4

MOTHER FISH.jpg

Never mind.

More than once, I have seen photographers laying on the reef to get the shot. I occasionally use a GoPro, but to me no shot is worth crunching a coral that maybe took decades to grow.

Of anyone’s noticed, ASD made the first OP post then bailed out.
I think we got trolled.
It is waiting for parts replacement as upgrade but shipping is very bad these days.

One thing I've observed a couple of times now is not so much the divers causing damage (though that can happen of course) its more the presence of the diver-photographer altering the 'balance of power' in the local habitat...
On night dives some of the more enterprising predators follow the photographers around and can gobble up a stunned subject at the edge of field just as the super bright video light moves on to the next one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom