Do photographers inadvertently harass marine life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have seen photographers kick Moray eels to get that aggressive shot.

I have seen photographers ambush Whale sharks.

I have seen photographers use their flash/lights to blind turtles.

I have seen photographers stick their camera lens in the face of an Octopus.

I no longer point out marine life to photographers.

I fear not those who throw rocks at my coffin for I’m already dead

I agree some photographers will do anything for a shot, but why single us out? I've seen plenty of non photographer reef bashers in my travels. there is enough blame to share around.

All of us should be respectful, photographer and non, alike.

The answer to the question in your thread title is "sometimes." Sometimes it is inadvertent, sometimes it is on purpose, and sometimes there is no harassment.

I am a photographer.
I am NOT a reef basher and I do not harass marine life.
Moreover, I do not @Alaskan Scuba Dude to point out anything to me. Let me do the pointing.

I've seen photographers pull on an octopus. I've seen divers with poor skills silt out a reef with their flailing. I've seen hunters spear fish and take lobster. There is good and bad in everyone, however, if it weren't for photographers, most of us would have never considered diving. From films by Jacques Cousteau and Hans Hass to National Geographic to Jaws, most of us learned about diving from photography.

I have seen photographers kick Moray eels to get that aggressive shot.

I have seen photographers ambush Whale sharks.

I have seen photographers use their flash/lights to blind turtles.

I have seen photographers stick their camera lens in the face of an Octopus.

I no longer point out marine life to photographers.

I fear not those who throw rocks at my coffin for I’m already dead
I agree, over here in Fla at Blue Heron Bridge, some photographers are out of hand:

Big rigs dragging over the sea life

Chasing octopus

Stepping all over everything to get the perfect sea horse photo

On the reefs, hauling their big ass rigs on the boat, then swimming right up to sleeping turtles, shining lights and scaring them off.

Kicking sea fans and stepping on coral as they maneuver for the right angle.

Anything for “the shot.”

A little more self awareness, please, for the sake of the creatures.

I've seen photographers pull on an octopus. I've seen divers with poor skills silt out a reef with their flailing. I've seen hunters spear fish and take lobster. There is good and bad in everyone, however, if it weren't for photographers, most of us would have never considered diving. From films by Jacques Cousteau and Hans Hass to National Geographic to Jaws, most of us learned about diving from photography.
Yes but the photographers over here are not Jacques Cousteau. They are weekend warriors with big rigs and tear up the bottom for a shot that is likely for their Facebook.

I agree that there are bad divers, too, but, in my humble opinion, the photographers at Blue Heron Bridge (the ones with the big rigs) are the worst culprits.

By the way, the eel in my photo was shot with a small Olympus Tough 6 while floating above the reef. Maybe not the best shot but the eel was not disturbed.

Reactions: OTF

Back
Top Bottom