Do NOT rent regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can see where those who fail to care for their gear might find renting preferable. Admittedly, I used to rent gear when I traveled to avoid the homeland security hassles -- until I had a regulator come apart on me at 100'. Needless to say, it made for a short dive I will never forget. As we were leaving the boat, I watched someone from another boat dragging their second stage along the ground back to the dive shop banging it on every rock and step along the way.

That was the last time I rented.

Does it have handgrip streamers and spoke clackers too? :wink: N

You mean, having a lawn chair for a seat isn't enough?

Personally I take my own gear because I am familiar with the set-up. Having said that, if the shop is reputable why not rent? I bought a used rental reg and octo from a shop that was upgrading their gear. Paid $75 for the whole thing, service it regularly and never had a problem with it. It's also the reg I use for dive call-outs.

I guess it all depends on where you rent it from. I bought a Conshelf 21 reg and octo from a shop that was upgrading their gear. Paid 75.00 for it 15 years ago, service it regularly and have never had a problem with it. Still use it for PSD work. I did change the mouth piece though.

It's hard to believe a person who calls himself a "vacation diver" will make a blanket statement like this that will be read by people who are looking for guidance. Even harder to believe is he will follow his words of wisdom by suggesting these people who are in need of information go directly to EBAY and spend $100 on a used regulator. I hope people are not so gullible as to follow these suggestions from this "experienced vacation diver". Good dive shops should be a source for reliable rental equipment and knowledgeable suggestions.

My reg happens to be the single most expensive piece of equipment that I own. I personally would not rent a reg or BC even while on vacation. However, that is just me - there are many certified divers that are traveling choose not to travel with their own gear and if they want to dive they have no other choice but to rent. So I feel it comes down to personal choice. If it comes down to not diving because I forgot my reg, then hell yes I'm going to rent.

There is nothing wrong with renting a regulator and BC at an excellent local dive shop. When you read reported SCUBA accidents, it always seems that the dive shop takes a lot less risks with maintenance than does the individual diver. I'm a little less confident about renting BC's. A diver should always carry their octo in the same position on the BC.

I agree it is your own preference and If your dive shop is a good dive shop and I would think they maintain their equip. do to Liability reasons... then you should be good. I just prefer owning my own gear and I don't mind taking it with me I feel comfortable with all my own stuff... If I were to give advice I would be the one to say if you are going to ebay buyer beware and I would ask your local dive shop or instructor what they think. Mine is there to help me! I have asked him alot.. of questions.. trust me he has never steered me wrong yet... I just informed someone the other day that was about to purchase an old Dacor 950 that he may have a problem and it may cost to have it check as much or half of what a new one would cost, I have been there...

I have been reading threads on this site for the last few months and I'm shocked by the number of divers who rent regs and BC's.......................................A second hand, good quality reg, can be bought on ebay for $100 why wouldn't you get one. BTW get it serviced before you use it and then get used to it.

You don't trust a dive shop to look after their own regulators.... but you do trust them to service private ones?

Chances is are, it is the same technician at the LDS who services their rental regulators and the ones brought in by customers.

What a load of nonsense this thread is...........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom