Do NOT rent regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trek, how quaint, a department store bike, lol. N

Watch out; I'm one of those condescending recumbent riders. Trek isn't good enough to make recumbents yet.

:D

I own my own gear but have rented and borrowed gear in the past. I have never had a problem with rented gear and have found it to be in good condition both at the LDS and in Europe. The only problems I have had with both regs and bcds are my personally owned equipment. (Not critical but problems non the less) Pretty sad that the rental gear appears to be maintained better or more often than my own equipment.

Never say never. I really love to ski, but I don't travel with skis; therefore, (although I am not as comfy with rentals at all,) I can ski with them. I look at all rental equipment in that light, this discussion may go on and on... Your choice of diving or not diving will surely go to the 'DIVE!' side of the page, so rent, of course, with caution--same as you would with your own equipment. There may be a bit of danger in every dive; trust yourself to find it. Very good points were made about trying out different components of equipment. I'm happy that quality shops rent at all.

Watch out; I'm one of those condescending recumbent riders. Trek isn't good enough to make recumbents yet.

:D

Does it have handgrip streamers and spoke clackers too? :wink: N

I've seen many diver owned regs fail on arrival at the shop for the dive or worse on the boat. I even remember one guy whose prized (crappy) fancy, almost new equipment, Dacor I think it was, an all integrated system that he lugged down to Mexico had several leaks and problems, first in the shop delaying us all for the dive and then at the surface before the dive. He refused to dive for the rest of his trip. What a dolt. the equipment in the shop I noticed was very good quality, they had tried diplomatically to suggest he rent some before he went to the boat because he had trouble with leaks when he was setting up. Oh well, ain't no cure. Still this illustrates an important point:
Equipment that is used and serviced regularly is more reliable than gear that has been pulled out of the closet to go for a trip, whether it was "just serviced" or not.
As someone else has pointed out, if you are properly trained, then equipment failures are easily handled. Just follow the basic rules, stay close to someone, check your gear before the dive etc.

I'm just curious but did the OP buy his own BC and reg for his OW class or did he rent?

Well I agree there are pros and cons and as far as renting at least you are much better off than possibly buying on ebay some people have no Idea that Dacor regs some can't get parts, etc etc. some good deals but again you may get someones problem at least renting you know what you are getting and if there is a problem you can take it and get different one. Also pays to use in a pool before the trip or when you rent at resort they fix problem.... As far a disinfecting. My God there are sprays for regs. specially made just for that purpose and most places use that for the regs if there is concern have them show you that they are disinfecting it.....:cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom