Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah but she knows about all of them, I assume, that is the point rather than the number itself. LOL

But seriously, perhaps if she builds confidence and competence by leading some dives, she will trust herself more and you as well?
Well. I just told her that we will have different buddies in our next dives and she is very upset. She asked: until when? And I replied: until you are confident in yourself and rely 100% on you for casual diving things.

I never thought that holding hands was a good idea underwater if it was serving to enhance the comfort and confidence of a buddy. Better to bail on the dive, but I want my buddy able to function without physical contact for anything that is normal. It reminds me of people who keep one hand on the inflator and the other on the second stage, holding it in their mouth. Just doesn't instill confidence for anyone.

Well. I just told her that we will have different buddies in our next dives and she is very upset. She asked: until when? And I replied: until you are confident in yourself and rely 100% on you for casual diving things.
I didn't mean to imply that she can't lead dives with you? The whole concept is to build a stronger buddy team, I thought anyway.

holding hands was a good idea underwater if it was serving to enhance the comfort and confidence of a buddy. Better to bail on the dive, but I want my buddy able to function without physical contact for anything that is normal.

Typically, this person is a strong candidate to be a "bolter" (somebody who would bolt to the surface in panic).

Typically, this person is a strong candidate to be a "bolter" (somebody who would bolt to the surface in panic).
Don’t have such a bad spirit. Holding hands within a couple is just the expression of a bond. Even at 130 ft. It is ridiculous to assume it is a hazard. We made a very nice picture of it.

Attachments

• 5857D7E9-9A81-4B4A-B7D9-68BAC94C738C.jpeg
    5857D7E9-9A81-4B4A-B7D9-68BAC94C738C.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 45
In the US, I am not aware of any such "duty to act." Sadly, the opposite is often true which I think is messed up. If you do act, you open yourself up to potential liability. A few places have "good Samaritan" laws, but most of the US does not.
All 50 states in the US have good Samaritan laws.

Don’t have such a bad spirit. Holding hands within a couple is just the expression of a bond. Even at 130 ft. It is ridiculous to assume it is a hazard. We made a very nice picture of it.

I wasn't referring to the "romantic" couple holding hands (so adorable 🥰). I am referring to the divers who need comforting by holding hands while diving.

Don’t have such a bad spirit. Holding hands within a couple is just the expression of a bond. Even at 130 ft. It is ridiculous to assume it is a hazard. We made a very nice picture of it
Holding hands is not a hazard. Diving with someone who needs you to hold their hand probably is.

Apart from -maybe- diving in the litigeous US, I don't see the issue. My highest cert is RD. If they ask, that's my answer. To my experience, your card usually means little to dive outfits (unless maybe DM or higher). Directly after that, they always ask my # of dives (which gives some clue wether a person can dive, not definitively though) and where i did most of my diving. My answer that i mostly dive in Holland, seems to relax them. They probabaly take that as a sign that i'm likely not completely incompetent. Not quite sure why, but i guess it has something to do with general diving conditions here and the relatively strict adherence to safetly rules here.

My RD cert (to me) means i'll probably try to help a diver in distress/being stupid, but no guarantees. I don't actively train my RD-'skills' but i do keep current on my 1st aid proficiency.

I really don't think it matters what you present. My (limited) experience in buddy selection was people would chat and choose. Most boat diving I have done has been group diving in which everyone is solo as no one has accepted the role to be a specific person's buddy. However, that role has limited responsibility. If in the situation described a buddy just drops like a rock into the abyss, no one should risk their own health in that scenario. Let the staff handle that.

I think dive guides watch people during the dive and adjust accordingly. Who can they safely monitor very little to whom do they need to monitor more. Unless they are brand new, dive guides see a lot of people fairly quickly.

As far as the side conversation going involving @Dody and his wife, I doubt he has shared all details necessary for a clear picture, and people have a tendency to interpret statements through their own lens. I'm sure we've seen the overbearing husband on a boat, and a number of folks here may be interepreting @Dody as such. As I have never seen him and his wife dive, I won't say this is similar to what I've seen, but I won't say it isn't either. I just won't throw stones here.

Stress is a significant issue for some people (one of my most nervous students for diving in the Puget Sound was a 6'5" 280 lb firefighter) that needs to be addressed in training. It happens and not addressing stress but ramming through combined with "you'll be fine" is counterproductive for learning. @Dody has agreed that more training for his wife is a good idea, so he definitely isn't being hardheaded/stubborn. Everyone knows I'll recommend fundies here, but since that's a given, I'll keep my mouth shut :wink: .

Back
Top Bottom