Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You want a copy of my STP or something?

Standard Temperature and Pressure please.

Oh wait, nevermind. We have already seen that on display here.

Yes I know this (apparently Dody knows this when it isn’t his wife). It’s the #1 rule also at:

EMT
Combat Medic
Mountaineering 1
Red Cross Life Guard
Rescue Swimmer

Is rule 2 to get on Scubaboard and make a thread about why you should make sure to make a thread about how it sucks to have people expect you to actually do the thing you voluntarily got qualified in and then introduced yourself as?

The rescue diver cert isn’t exactly on par with the cool guy operator training you apparently have; cut the OP some slack.

Yah I can understand the first paragraph you have up there. He’s sure excited about being a rescue diver in his profile though (and a divemaster… which he also assured us in this thread he’s never actually done). And likes to introduce himself as one. Your screen name introduces yourself as a Cav Scout so I assume you’re decently proud of that. I also assume it means you’ve done Cav Scout things. What I’m getting at is that you don’t get to lead with a title and then expect a pity party when you don’t live up to the hype.

Your second paragraph is a tad presumptive. Are you implying that about me or the thread in general?
Dody didn’t sign up for the military and I don’t think PADI makes you take an oath. I’m the kind of guy who jumps in to help people and not just when I was in uniform.

I once was on a dive that had a guy suffer a panic attack at more than 30M. I kept my distance from him and let the DM (who was his cousin) handle the situation. After the dive I thought about it and had it just been me there and the guy was freaking out more I may not have helped him, On the other hand if he was a fellow vet then yes I would step in, even if he was Navy or Space Force because that’s the brotherhood. But a complete stranger ? That really depends on the situation.

Dody didn’t have a responsibility towards the other diver and the only thing he should have done was throat punch the DM for giving him grief.

1687275120785.png

Here is a general observation about some of the sentiments I see expressed in this thread. I am going to start with a far-flung analogy that seems completely unrelated. Bear with me.

In my career in education, I came upon an interesting study contrasting the way a teacher with a very strong education in a subject area teaches with the way a teacher with more minimal subject area expertise teaches. The teacher with a lesser command of the subject matter tends to focus instruction on memorization of facts, while the better educated teacher focuses on thinking about the facts and using facts to draw conclusions. Conjecture on why that would be true includes this: the lesser educated teachers overestimate their preparation, thinking their knowledge base is much closer to totality than it is. The more educated teachers have a better understanding of how truly vast is that sea of knowledge and how very far they all are from that totality.

I believe something similar happens in diving. The way dive agencies promote continuing education, many and probably most relatively beginning divers think certifications for Rescue Diver and Divemaster put them near the top of the scuba learning curve. 50-60 years ago, that was true, but it has not been like that for a long time, so others will see those certifications as early steps in scuba instruction.

Yah I can understand the first paragraph you have up there. He’s sure excited about being a rescue diver in his profile though (and a divemaster… which he also assured us in this thread he’s never actually done). And likes to introduce himself as one. Your screen name introduces yourself as a Cav Scout so I assume you’re decently proud of that. I also assume it means you’ve done Cav Scout things. What I’m getting at is that you don’t get to lead with a title and then expect a pity party when you don’t live up to the hype.

Your second paragraph is a tad presumptive. Are you implying that about me or the thread in general?
If I am a RD/DM because I have completed training that allows me to say so, who are you to tell me not to?
And unless I am acting in proffesional role, I don't give a damn what your expectations are regarding my capabilities or my duties.
Even if I am more than capable to render assistance and most likely will, as a paying customer I may elect not do to so, just because I feel it like that. And you can take your entitlement about what I am supposed to do with you all the way to the bottom of the ocean.

OP, you did good. You felt you were endangering yourself for some stranger and were not willing to take that risk.

You might consider reading the title of this thread. Reading, after all, is fundamental.

And OHHHH MYYY at criticizing someone for not following an insta-buddy to the depths at an unsafe rate.

After all, if you are a rescue diver, you better damn well get to rescuing, no matter the circumstances!!

Luckily, I haven't completed rescue diver training, so I'm not required to put my life on the line for someone I just met on the boat.

Here is a general observation about some of the sentiments I see expressed in this thread. I am going to start with a far-flung analogy that seems completely unrelated. Bear with me.

In my career in education, I came upon an interesting study contrasting the way a teacher with a very strong education in a subject area teaches with the way a teacher with more a more minimal subject area expertise teaches. The teacher with a lesser command of the subject matter tends to focus instruction on memorization of facts, while the better educated teacher focuses on thinking about the facts and using facts to draw conclusions. Conjecture on why that would be true includes this: the lesser educated teachers overestimate their preparation, thinking their knowledge base is much closer to totality than it is. The more educated teachers have a better understanding of how truly vast is that sea of knowledge and how very far they all are from that totality.

I believe something similar happens in diving. The way dive agencies promote continuing education, many and probably most relatively beginning divers think certifications for Rescue Diver and Divemaster put them near the top of the scuba learning curve. 50-60 years ago, that was true, but it has not been like that for a long time, so others will see those certifications as early steps in scuba instruction.
I partially agree with that. The reason why I passed my last two certs have nothing to with my wanting to be a professional, one of the best divers in the world, Superman saving all the other divers or pretend I was an expert. It was to be more proficient, get more knowledge and become a better diver. Continuous learning. Now, if those skills can help, that’s fine. If that’s not enough, such is life. Had I wanted to be a Coast Guard Diver, a Public Safety Diver or dedicate my life risking it in order to save others, I would have chosen a different path. Hell, I will do intro to tech without any desire to do tech diving. Just for the knowledge and safer diving not for bragging about being rescue swimmer.

Back
Top Bottom