Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. Hell, I am not even doing a job and certainly not doing the job that others are being paid for.
I run into this fairly often in my line of work with guys who go to Jumpmaster School because it makes them more competitive for promotion and have no inclination at all to do the job.

Fine. you are a Divemaster and a Rescue Diver because you like how it sounds when you introduce yourself as one.

Don’t go title hunting and then start a thread about how you shouldn’t ever announce you are one. It’s really just a thread of you telling on yourself and then trying to justify it.

For some reason @MacDuyver didn't mention this in his post.

Rule #1 in rescue: The rescuer should not become another casualty.
Yes I know this (apparently Dody knows this when it isn’t his wife). It’s the #1 rule also at:

EMT
Combat Medic
Mountaineering 1
Red Cross Life Guard
Rescue Swimmer

Is rule 2 to get on Scubaboard and make a thread about why you should make sure to make a thread about how it sucks to have people expect you to actually do the thing you voluntarily got qualified in and then introduced yourself as?

Fine. you are a Divemaster and a Rescue Diver because you like how it sounds when you introduce yourself as one.
The people who introduce themselves as DM are mostly the new divers. In my experience they stop doing that once they know how to dive.

You
I run into this fairly often in my line of work with guys who go to Jumpmaster School because it makes them more competitive for promotion and have no inclination at all to do the job.

Don’t go title hunting and then start a thread about how you shouldn’t ever announce you are one. It’s really just a thread of you telling on yourself and then trying to justify it.
You seem to have a more profound issue unrelated to diving 😀. A professional could help… or not.

By your account, this isn't some dickhead who ran out of air because he finned as furiously as he could for 10 minutes straight chasing a turtle. This was a diver in obvious distress, and you are a qualified rescue diver and literally just watched him go, because "whelp I can't match his descent rate so **** him."

The point I'm getting at is this: why on earth do you hold a Rescue Diver certification? Why did you go to the Rescue Diver course when you have no inclination to apply the skill to a diver in distress whom you were assigned to as a buddy?

your entire first post is about how you hold titles like Divemaster but have never done the job. Then you describe how you identified yourself as a rescue diver, and again didn't do the job. So why the hell do you hold those certs and not just a Master Diver cert?

Sounds to me like there were two **** buddies paired up.
I can’t speak for the OP but perhaps he took the course because he dives a lot with his wife and wants to be prepared in case she runs into trouble. If I see someone that I don’t know in distress and there’s a minimal chance of serious injury to me I’ll help out but if the risk is higher I may or may not help out and that decisions has nothing to do with having taken the course or not.

A lot of wannabe tough guys here are commenting and criticizing the OP when they have never risked their lives for anything and that’s kind of funny.

about how it sucks to have people expect you to actually do the thing you voluntarily got qualified in and then introduced yourself as?
just because I got trained as Resue Diver does not mean I am qualified , those two things are worlds apart.

just because I got trained as Resue Diver does not mean I am qualified , those two things are worlds apart.
Do you hold a certification? That’s qualified.

You might not be a competent/confident rescue diver but if you have a card that says “Rescue Diver” on it, you are qualified

I can’t speak for the OP but perhaps he took the course because he dives a lot with his wife and wants to be prepared in case she runs into trouble. If I see someone that I don’t know in distress and there’s a minimal chance of serious injury to me I’ll help out but if the risk is higher I may or may not help out and that decisions has nothing to do with having taken the course or not.

A lot of wannabe tough guys here are commenting and criticizing the OP when they have never risked their lives for anything and that’s kind of funny.
Yah I can understand the first paragraph you have up there. He’s sure excited about being a rescue diver in his profile though (and a divemaster… which he also assured us in this thread he’s never actually done). And likes to introduce himself as one. Your screen name introduces yourself as a Cav Scout so I assume you’re decently proud of that. I also assume it means you’ve done Cav Scout things. What I’m getting at is that you don’t get to lead with a title and then expect a pity party when you don’t live up to the hype.

Your second paragraph is a tad presumptive. Are you implying that about me or the thread in general?

Yah I can understand the first paragraph you have up there. He’s sure excited about being a rescue diver in his profile though (and a divemaster… which he also assured us in this thread he’s never actually done). And likes to introduce himself as one. Your screen name introduces yourself as a Cav Scout so I assume you’re decently proud of that. I also assume it means you’ve done Cav Scout things. What I’m getting at is that you don’t get to lead with a title and then expect a pity party when you don’t live up to the hype.

Your second paragraph is a tad presumptive. Are you implying that about me or the thread in general?
Probably not you. After your unsolicited expression of line of work specialties, I was surprised not to see « Commander of a Seal team ».

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom