Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My point here isn't to say, "Look at me, look at what I did!" but rather to say that being "not an ass" and being helpful with other divers is something that I aspire to, and I think everyone else should.
This right here, my motto is just don't be a d**k and things will work out. I always show my DM card as that is my current cert. I don't walk on the boat and announce that I am a DM but if asked to see my cert card that's what I show. I will get comments from time to time but it's usually "let us do the work today and enjoy your dives" or I joke with them and say don't judge me until after the dive.

I'd say it depends on what the dive is. If there is something particuar I want to see or do, then I might be annoyed if I get paired with gas-hog.
If the objective is just to blow some bubbles, I couldn't care less who is my buddy. I always dive like I am the only one able to help myself anyway.
But, I will go with thinking that you are more likely to be paired with good group if you are honest about your skills.

Here are 3 personal stories about operators matching divers by ability.

1. I was diving with an operator with multiple boats in Cozumel, and one day my boat had four divers: A husband and wife who were both DMS, a complete beginner on his first dive trip, and me. When the beginner ran low on air on both dives, I ascended with him to the surface, and then redescended to join the rest. After the dive, the operation owner contacted me to apologize for putting the beginner on the wrong boat, and she refunded me the cost of the dive.

2. On a trip to Cozumel last year (different operator), my friends and I were put on a boat with extremely experienced divers, and we had a week of outstanding dives in remote locations, some of which I had never heard of despite many trips to Cozumel. We only saw other dive groups on a couple of our dives.

3. On a big boat in Kona, Hawai'i, we were divided into three groups. Our group was told we all had more experience than the DM trainee who was "leading" the dive. He was mostly just getting to know the sites, and we were free to do what we wanted as long as we stayed roughly together. We entered the water before the other two groups were close to ready to splash, and we surfaced after the others were back on the boat and had gotten out of their gear. I wondered how many advanced divers were in those two groups because they had hidden their true certification levels.

Here are 3 personal stories about operators matching divers by ability.

1. I was diving with an operator with multiple boats in Cozumel, and one day my boat had four divers: A husband and wife who were both DMS, a complete beginner on his first dive trip, and me. When the beginner ran low on air on both dives, I ascended with him to the surface, and then redescended to join the rest. After the dive, the operation owner contacted me to apologize for putting the beginner on the wrong boat, and she refunded me the cost of the dive.

2. On a trip to Cozumel last year (different operator), my friends and I were put on a boat with extremely experienced divers, and we had a week of outstanding dives in remote locations, some of which I had never heard of despite many trips to Cozumel. We only saw other dive groups on a couple of our dives.

3. On a big boat in Kona, Hawai'i, we were divided into three groups. Our group was told we all had more experience than the DM trainee who was "leading" the dive. He was mostly just getting to know the sites, and we were free to do what we wanted as long as we stayed roughly together. We entered the water before the other two groups were close to ready to splash, and we surfaced after the others were back on the boat and had gotten out of their gear. I wondered how many advanced divers were in those two groups because they had hidden their true certification levels.
Just as a reminder, which certifications would you show to them? As you've got literally all of them (am assuming you're a tech instructor, DM, etc.).
  • Showing AOW -- shows rudimentary skills, definitely not advanced skills!
  • Showing Rescue -- shows better skills and understanding that's good for a crowd
  • Showing a DM card -- shows basic skills and leadership
  • Showing a technical card -- shows deeper understanding and should mean higher skills -- but it would be irrelevant for a recreational dive.
  • Solo diver? Shows self reliance (kind of implicit for all instructors too)
  • Instructor's card?

Just as a reminder, which certifications would you show to them? As you've got literally all of them (am assuming you're a tech instructor, DM, etc.).
  • Showing Rescue -- shows better skills and understanding that's good for a crowd
  • Showing a technical card -- shows deeper understanding and should mean higher skills -- but it would be irrelevant for a recreational dive.
  • Instructor's card?
I show my trimix instructor card. I want every benefit of any doubt.

A couple years ago I showed that card to a dive operator running basic NDL dives out of South Florida. A couple trips later they had a new DM on board, and she rattled off all the typical rules everyone had to follow. When she was done, she came over to where I was sitting and told me the owner had told her I could ignore all those rules and do whatever I wanted.

That's the kind of benefit I am looking for when I show a certification card.

• Instructor's card?
Kind of dependent on agency?
Under CMAS, I am tech, rescue diver and DM under same cert.

The more I follow this thread, the more I am glad, I can just show my Solo cert to any new to me, dive operator.
I tried that once. Didn’t recognise it. Only accepted the Rescue Diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom