Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not exactly the same scenario as diving...... but kinda on topic thought it worth mentioning that US Federal Maritime Law actually requires that when I'm out on my boat that I have a legal obligation to provide assistance if I am able to do so without danger to my vessel or persons onboard. That.....and I just personally believe that we all have have a basic human responsibility to assist anyone in danger if we are capable.

46 U.S. Code § 2304 - Duty to provide assistance at sea​

(a) (1) A master or individual in charge of a vessel shall render assistance to any individual found at sea in danger of being lost, so far as the master or individual in charge can do so without serious danger to the master’s or individual’s vessel or individuals on board.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to a vessel of war or a vessel owned by the United States Government appropriated only to a public service.

(b) A master or individual violating this section shall be fined not more than $1,000, imprisoned for not more than 2 years, or both.

Padi recommended recreational limit for an OW certified diver is 40m. You don't need to mention deep certificate. lol
I am not PADI certified so I don’t know. For SSI, AOW is 30 m. SSI DS won’t take you to a 35m wreck dive if you don’t have the rec deep dive cert.

I am a CMAS ☆☆☆ instructor. When diving under my supervision, max depth for an OW diver (of whatever agency) is 18m.
AOW or equivalent is 30m.
For 40m one needs a "deep 40" or simiilar, but still without deco.
I allowed to dive within my same recreational limits (50m with deco) only divers "fully certified" by Cmas or Bsac, or so-called "technical divers" (these of course have even broader limits then me, but I am not allowed to exceed my recreational limits when being on-duty with paying customers).

I’m an OW diver unless AOW is required. I usually say ‘so far so good!” If I’m asked about skill set. Far too many times I ended up paired with a brand new diver & had to limit my dives to 20 mins because they blew through their tank.

I am not PADI certified so I don’t know. For SSI, AOW is 30 m. SSI DS won’t take you to a 35m wreck dive if you don’t have the rec deep dive cert.
That's not an SSI requirement, but a dive center decision. I guarantee you there are SSI dive centers that don't adhere to this.

I’m an OW diver unless AOW is required. I usually say ‘so far so good!” If I’m asked about skill set. Far too many times I ended up paired with a brand new diver & had to limit my dives to 20 mins because they blew through their tank.
I have dived all over the world for more than a couple decades, and in my experience, dive centers try to match divers by ability. They want the most experienced divers with the other most experienced divers because they want them to have a good time, return to them, recommend them, etc. They don't want pissed off customers.

The way to be most certain you will be paired with a new diver who will burn through the air is to show an OW card and make them think you are a good match for that diver's air consumption rate.

I have dived all over the world for more than a couple decades, and in my experience, dive centers try to match divers by ability. They want the most experienced divers with the other most experienced divers because they want them to have a good time, return to them, recommend them, etc. They don't want pissed off customers.

The way to be most certain you will be paired with a new diver who will burn through the air is to show an OW card and make them think you are a good match for that diver's air consumption rate.
It was the exact opposite. I was honest with my cert level & experience - they put me with the new diver on purpose. On one occasion I pulled the DM aside & asked to be paired with another diver & was told everyone else was ‘buddied up’. It’s happened on numerous occasions. 99.9% of the time I have a buddy now so it’s no longer an issue.

It was the exact opposite. I was honest with my cert level & experience - they put me with the new diver on purpose. On one occasion I pulled the DM aside & asked to be paired with another diver & was told everyone else was ‘buddied up’. It’s happened on numerous occasions. 99.9% of the time I have a buddy now so it’s no longer an issue.
It looks like you had some bad luck. I have never experienced it, and I always show a very high card, and in doing so, I am always grouped with the best divers.

It looks like you had some bad luck. I have never experienced it, and I always show a very high card, and in doing so, I am always grouped with the best divers.
I always share what I think is the most relevant card. Often that is an instructor card. I've found that a lot of other instructors are either intimidated or helpful.

Hell, sometimes I'm the one who's intimidated by other instructors... I can't get past the feeling that they are judging me.

OTOH, I have been taught things that I'd have never learned by instructors who did things every day that I do once a year. I've learned far more than I've shared in those situations, and I've helped out too.

I had a dive in the Carribean with an instructor who was a, "I do this every day, six days a week." type. We'd had a few dives together and had developed a little rapport. He was really f***ing good at some things, and only marginal at others, but he was affable and fun to be around.

One day, near the end of my trip, I was sitting around waiting for the boat when this very nice Canadian couple arrived. The husband was going to stay ashore and the wife was going to dive. She told me she was very nervous as she hadn't dived in years... I told her I'd be happy to buddy with her and in the time we spent waiting, I quizzed her on some skills. We talked about her anxieties and how she was "always the last person down and needed extra time to equalize."

I volunteered to be her buddy and told her I'd dive whatever depth she wanted to dive to.

My instructor buddy showed up at T - 2 and declared that I'd dive with the AOW guy who was diver #4 and he'd dive with my Canadian friend.

I didn't argue (sometimes, the instructor on scene knows more than me) and that's how we started. My buddy (AOW diver #4) was a complete mess, but we managed to dive the wreck we'd dropped on.

When we exited, I looked up to safety stop level and saw our instructor friend and our Canadian diver working through her issues. It was clear to me that my instructor friend hadn't ever dealt with a customer like my Canadian friend and he was being way too hands-off. I looked up and realized that if I didn't intervene, our dive was over.

I ascended from 100ish feet to their safety stop depth and I signaled to my compatriot - "Let's switch positions. You are the AOW guy's buddy and I'll take her as my buddy."

He readily agreed and we continued the dive.

He dropped to 100ish feet and guided the dive with my former AOW buddy, while I held my Canadian friend's hand and we slowly tracked down to them at 100ish feet. We all ascended and exited together.

On the boat, my Canadian friend was thankful I came back for her because she wasn't feeling comfortable with the guide/instructor. My AOW friend was thankful that I went with him through the boat while the instructor and the Canadian were occupied. Our instructor friend was thankful because I helped him, he learned a little from me, and he was able to guide a dive where everyone exited happy. I was thankful because I could clearly see that if I hadn't intervened, our guide would have called the dive and we'd have all gotten back on the boat unhappy.

My point here isn't to say, "Look at me, look at what I did!" but rather to say that being "not an ass" and being helpful with other divers is something that I aspire to, and I think everyone else should.

If you find a person who is intimidated by your qualifications and shows it - find someone else. When I had a former instructor and cave diver show up while I taught his GF an advanced class, I was a little intimidated, but my objective was to get him to teach me something I didn't know.

As it turns out, I achieved my objective that day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom