Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Highest qualification. Unless the operator is familier with all certifying agencies its a meaningless question.

Diving qualification, I'm a BSAC Advanced Diver - there is no PADI equivalent
Instructor qualification, I'm a BSAC Advanced Instructor – the nearest PADI equivalent is instructor trainer, but I’m not. It just means I can teach the BSAC Advanced Diver grade.

The situation I cites in post 53 came about because the front desk recorded my qualification as AI. On the boat the crew assumed I was a PADI Assistant Instructor. The fact I was wearing a polo shirt with BSAC on it didn’t register.
In the e-mail correspondence for my last holiday diving. They asked for “Certificate”. Probably something lost in translation. Sent them a copy of the card with the CMAS star rating on the back. At the shop check-in they wrote down Advanced Diver. Worked for the diving that was planned.

As you say. I have been to places that have no idea about BSAC qualifications but did grasp the CMAS star rating.

Am always a little confused about showing an instructor rating. The diving qualification is for diving, while the instructor qualification is for instructing. When on holiday I am diving. Also it is only a sticker in my qualification record book that I haven’t carried for many years.

I am never so over weighted that it matters. I usually have to kick down until my suit compresses and dumps the trapped air. If I were in my drysuit, RIP old feller, it was plenty buoyant on it's own.

I have over and over watched people drop in with current and by the time they get negative to descend they are off the ledge or reef. I try to avoid all of the cf that goes on with all of that fuss.

That's great that you have been able to address the problems of splashing from a dive boat with a deflated wing due to attention to your overall rig balancing. So if you prefer that approach, that's up to you.

There is zero downside (apart from the rare case of a hot drop or some sort of military exercise) of splashing with an inflated wing. So in public forums, I try to avoid statements like saying that "I never inflate my wing before entry" because many less experienced divers reading these threads will just remember that you shouldn't do it, without remembering the details.

Even a properly weighted diver who has some sort of problem that doesn't appear until they are in the water (free flow, lost mouthpiece, lost mask, impact injury, etc..) will always be better off with a full wing - with their head high in the water - until they can get things sorted out. To paraphrase Mike Tyson, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

Inflate your BC before jumping. It's just good practice.

That's great that you have been able to address the problems of splashing from a dive boat with a deflated wing due to attention to your overall rig balancing. So if you prefer that approach, that's up to you.

There is zero downside (apart from the rare case of a hot drop or some sort of military exercise) of splashing with an inflated wing. So in public forums, I try to avoid statements like saying that "I never inflate my wing before entry" because many less experienced divers reading these threads will just remember that you shouldn't do it, without remembering the details.

Even a properly weighted diver who has some sort of problem that doesn't appear until they are in the water (free flow, lost mouthpiece, lost mask, impact injury, etc..) will always be better off with a full wing - with their head high in the water - until they can get things sorted out. To paraphrase Mike Tyson, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

Enter the water with a full BC is best practice? Maybe that is being taught when you take scuba lessons, but it has way too many potential drawbacks, to do this in most situations.

Enter the water with a full BC is best practice? Maybe that is being taught when you take scuba lessons, but it has way too many potential drawbacks, to do this in most situations.
Doesn't necessarily need to be full full. A diver could just add enough to help them at the surface if there's a problem.

I've done many hot drops and it is difficult for me to get negative enough even with an empty bladder. This is a "fault" with my bcd, it's very floaty and so am I. I weight myself to be neutral at depth. I very rarely add air to my bcd at depth and often upon surfacing, I'll forget to add some because of all the floatiness.

A diver needs to know their gear and understand how it works for their diving, and this includes proper weighting.

yes, agreed. Entering the water with SOME air in BC, is more likely an appropriate technique for a lot of situations. Stating standard practice is to have it "Full" is far different. This was the statement: will always be better off with a full wing - with their head high in the water -

If great minds think alike, I'm sure others here remember the Tina Watson death in Australia in which her husband was accused of murdering her because he failed to act as a rescue diver. Death of Tina Watson - Wikipedia
Yes, Gabe Watson was foolishly charged in Alabama with the murder in of his wife despite being merely incompetent.

For the purpose of this thread, though, the important thing is that he was guilty of manslaughter because in the part of Australia where that dive took place, he was required by law to provide competent assistance. That is a very unusual law--it is one of the few such laws in the world. That should remind us that laws on this topic can vary from location to location.

It only takes one shake out dive to determine which group of divers one belongs in.
Do you generally do a checkout dive before going on a boat for a day of diving? I have never had that happen anywhere in the world. I have only had checkout dives on a few liveaboard trips.

Always willing to learn. What are the drawbacks?

Always willing to learn. What are the drawbacks?
Sudden pressure increase is tough on the overpressure valve, and on the bladder.
Can take a while to deflate if immediate descent is needed.
Air in bladder, probably good, depending on the dive; but full bladder, no need for this and possibly bad.

A full wing!

I gave example of the downside of entering with a full wing, delayed descent and getting swept away or blown off the site. I will say it again, I never inflate my BC wing before entry and in fact I suck it flat. If you fellas are plummeting to the bottom after entry or need more than a couple of puffs of air into the BC once at depth then you have a weighting problem and a skill set problem that needs to be addressed. This is the Advanced Diver forum, not the Basic Forum for the inexperienced nor the Technical Forum where there might be significant equipment additions requiring some air in the wing upon entry and therefore also redundant buoyancy. In the Advanced Forum there is room to discuss methods and styles that might not have been addressed in a Basic SCUBA class.

How do you think we got into the water before we had BCs or used BCs? As an adult and Advanced Diver we can decide for ourself. Do you always use a snorkel, I bet your Basic instructor told you to always have and use a snorkel also? Having a snorkel all the time is a good practice! An Advanced level diver ought to be able to figure out when they might need a snorkel or need some air in their BC. And they ought to be able to get weighted such that upon entry, even a negative entry, they can easily remain on the surface. After entry, a quick thumbs up and a salute and down we go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom