do most ops in mexico, cozumel offer DIN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i would like to know if most dive ops in the yucatan, cozumel have tanks available with DIN connection, or is it almost all YOKE and one would need an adapter. i'm trying to decide what kind of reg. to get, and most of my diving has been mexico/caribbean so far.

Aldora does for sure and several others who offer large steel tanks offer them as well

Although some shops may offer tanks with DIN valves, by far the most common tank valve in Mexico and the Caribbean is the standard yoke.

Even if some dive ops do have DIN available upon request, the most common tank by far is an AL80 with yoke style valve. If you do decide to go with DIN, bring the adaptor along, in case your special request tank doesn't show up.

Take your adapter, just in case. What is it, a pound?

Aquatech and Zero Gravity will have DIN....both are in Akumal.

thanks everyone. just trying to decide whether to buy the DIN regulator and a yoke adapter. it's not really a big deal that using the adapter adds the o-ring thing back into the equation, right? and do you situate the tank a little lower to avoid hitting your head on the valve since with the adapter it will be so big??

donnad:
thanks everyone. just trying to decide whether to buy the DIN regulator and a yoke adapter. it's not really a big deal that using the adapter adds the o-ring thing back into the equation, right? and do you situate the tank a little lower to avoid hitting your head on the valve since with the adapter it will be so big??

Dive operators in Cozumel like Living Underwater, Liquid Blue, Aldora, Dive with Martin and a few others have DIN convertible tanks. Also there are one or two operators that have doubles for rent.

Most of the dive ops will have the standard 80 AL. All my regs are DIN and when I'm diving in Cozumel I have no problem. When I was diving in the Cayman Islands, Costa Rica and Jamacia I took the converter as no ops I could find used DIN tanks.

I really don't find the adapter a problem when diving and set my tank up at normal height.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom