Do I want to dive Lake Erie???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cougar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I lived in Buffalo as a child and I don't recall Lake Erie being terribly cold. (Used to go swimming there when I was 6) I will be in Buffalo Sept 6-12 and would love to get a dive or two in. I have about 500 dives...nitrox, wreck, deep, etc. However...I have only dived fresh water once....and that was the crystal clear cenotes in the Yucatan. I have done murky and VERY cold in China...but still salt water.

What is that water temperature and vis like this time of year?? I'm not dry-suit certified...would I freeze my *** off?? I wouldn't lug all my equipment with me...although I might bring my reg and mask. I am also shopping for a more compact and light weight system for travel. I have been looking at a Transpac or perhaps a lightweight BP and wings (aluminum for travel) I would love to try some of that equipment before committing.

Do you happen to know of a dive op on the lake that rents that type of equipment?? Can you recommend people and places...and what kind of temp and vis am I considering here???

Thanks in advance.

Not sure about the area around Buffalo but we dove Cleveland in May a couple years ago against the advice of the charter captain. He told us the best visibility is in the late summer and early fall in that area and we quickly discovered he was right to try to dissuade us from diving in May (vis was horrible).

You should be fine in a 7mm wetsuit, my guys dove wet in May and didn't freeze. It's been an incredibly hot summer here and the local quarry is 77 degrees down to 25 feet and in the 60's down to about 50 feet then 42 degrees under that thermocline. I'm guessing the lakes will have responded to the warm temperatures in a positive manner :D
Ber :lilbunny:

Dove Lake Erie last weekend with Osprey Charters out of Westfield, NY.

Super trip and all within recreational limits... coldest bottom temp was 46 F and generally at depth it was low 50's...

Could you do it in a 7mm? Yep... I would have probably done it in a 5mm full with hood when I dove wet... but dry is better. :)

Vis was pretty decent... about what the quarry does... 30 to 40 ft. below the thermocline... first day was better though I think... 2nd day of diving we had 5 to 10 ft. above the first thermocline and 20 to 30 ft. below it...

I'm not a huge fan of cold water diving, but the wrecks and things to see are just too good to pass up.

Dave

The wrecks are awesome!! The deeper you go, the better shape they're in.

Discover Diving in Depew NY can help with the rental gear. They have some BP/wings in the rental line.

As far as I know, Osprey Charters is the best on the Lake. Great Captain and crew, Awesome boat!! :thumb:

If your up to a little side trip, Discover Diving has a trip to Tobemory on Sept 8 & 9, more great wrecks!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom