do i really need my compass for a few cruise dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evad:
How do you set a compass on a wreck without the wreck screwing up the reading?
Do you set it when you're far enough away?

As commented by other posters proximity to a wreck may throw a compass off significantly. As I'm moving away from the wreck (distance depends on vis) I automatically spin the bezel to give me a reciprocal back to the wreck.
As long as the variation is then below +/- 15degrees thats normally enough to get me back.
If there's a cross current running then I run a line from the wreck.

The question was: "do I really need my compass for a few cruise dives?"

The answer is probably no, but . . . . .

Do you really need your seatbelts in your car? Most of the time no, but it is still a really good idea to use them all the time because you never really know for sure when that rare situation will occur where you really need them. Do you need a dive knife/shears? Probably not, but when you need them, you NEED THEM.

Can you get away without having a compass? Sure. But have you considered a risk/reward comparison? What do you gain by eliminating the compass? What do you risk by eliminating the compass? What do you gain by keeping the compass? What do you risk by keeping the compass?

Answer these questions and you answer your question. Forget what anyone else does or thinks, it is you butt that is either in a sling or not.

FWIW, I have a compass on each of my consoles, and they never leave their receptacles, even though I rarely use them when I dive in Cozumel. I know where they are, and they are always there when I do need them. My mother used to preach "a place for every thing, and every thing in it's place." Makes it easy to find things. I pack my gear bag the same way for the same reason. (and my hockey gear bag, and my skiing gear bag, and my boot bag etc.)

Wristshot

Being lost in the water really sucks, if your somewhere where the vis isnt about a quarter mile then if you left your tank on the boat you wouldnt need a compass cause you could always see the boat, just a thought
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom