do i really need my compass for a few cruise dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My solution to the compass problem is a cheap (less than $10 at Wal Mart) Silva hikers compass carried in a BC pocket. It is one less thing on a console or on the wrist that you don't use on 90% of dives anyway. It is liquid filled and pressure proof and I have used it to make long swims with no problems.

Captain

captain:
My solution to the compass problem is a cheap (less than $10 at Wal Mart) Silva hikers compass carried in a BC pocket. It is one less thing on a console or on the wrist that you don't use on 90% of dives anyway. It is liquid filled and pressure proof and I have used it to make long swims with no problems.
But over time the spring clip that holds the compass module to the bezel on the hikers compasses will rust -- I have on my sailing dinghy that is pretty scuzzy.

Another solution is one of those mini-ball compasses, also at Walmart. It a sphere a bit less than 1" in diameter, has survived 130', and has infinite tilt angle. I use one a a zipper pull on my gearbag and have often loaned it to buddies using rental gear without compasses. Not exactly a precision instrument, but adequate for most needs.

Charlie

Rub a fine needle on a magnet; (pre dive preparation) then on the side of your nose. (makes it stick to the driftwood) Then lay it gently on the surface of piece of driftwood. The needle will float and point north.
That's all you need!

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask in this forum. :wink:

Funny indeed, I must go try that "catch a bubble with your forehand" thing.........

Charlie99:
But over time the spring clip that holds the compass module to the bezel on the hiders compasses will rust -- I have on my sailing dinghy that is pretty scuzzy.

Charlie

I don't know what kind you have but there is no metal on mine. It's been subjected to sea water for years and is still like new.

Captain

Furner:
I want to get it off my console to save a little space, do I really need to have my compass on my console while Im down there this winter? Itll just be 4 or 6 dives.
As any experienced diver will tell you...your compass is an intergral part of your dive.....you should use it regulary to check positioning w/ the established references you chose...if it is too cumbersom..the get a small boy scout compass to keep in your bcd pocket...never know when you might REALLY need it...especially for Walk in dives from shore....have fun...Eagle-scuba

I dive without a compass all the time since I lost my SK7. So far in the past three months I've survived dive trips to British Columbia, Fiji and Maui along with dives here in the less than stellar viz of Puget Sound.

But then I'm special. :D

Today, even with less than 5' viz scootering back to the entry point I came up exactly on target. My buddy, who has a compass, came up 20 yards West in the shadow of a shore side building. When I saw it was getting darker I just moved back to where it was still light and bingo. :D

Furner:
I want to get it off my console to save a little space, do I really need to have my compass on my console while Im down there this winter? Itll just be 4 or 6 dives.

Do you need it? No, particularly with a drift dive. The chances are 99% that you won't need it. Should you have it? Absolutely. The small addition to drag/bulk is nothing compared to the potential big impact on safety if something goes wrong.

thanks for the response. i will pull it from my console and work on making a bungee for it, and i will stash it in my pocket.

Furner:
thanks for the response. i will pull it from my console and work on making a bungee for it, and i will stash it in my pocket.

I don't bother taking it. Depending on where you are, the dives are simple and usually well herded by the DM. I have been doing the Coz/Roatan/Belize dives from the cruise boats, and yet to have any need for one. My wife and I are adding Grand Cayman to this years cruise, so we have a new site to check out...

jwh

Back
Top Bottom