do i really need my compass for a few cruise dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Furner

Contributor
Reaction score
I want to get it off my console to save a little space, do I really need to have my compass on my console while Im down there this winter? Itll just be 4 or 6 dives.

It really depends on a few things.

1. How well do you know the place you are diving?
2. How do you feel about a long surface swim?
3. Is the place you're diving a quarry or something like that in which it's impossible to get lost in?

Lastly and most important, how much space does a compass really take up that it is necessary to remove it?

If you are going to Coz, you can probably drop the compass as you will be drift diving.

I think it's an integral part of diving gear, that ensures you have a safer dive. Get a wrist mount one. Suunto has a great compass.

its just drift dives. right now i have a suunto console-mount compass. for dives around here i use it to practice nav skills, but i really dont think that i would be needing it down south. maybe ill rig my compass up as a wrist mount with some bungee tubing and throw it in a pocket.

Most likely you won't need it. Of course I wouldn't want to get caught needing one and not having it. I just have a wrist mount, works well and takes very little space in packing. Even on "Follow/Trust Me" Dives I still would want my compass for navigational information.

Matt

You don't need no stinking compass.

Just sense the magnetic energy and navigate by that.
I also recommend estimating your depth by how your ears feel.
What pressure gauge? You'll know when the air's gone.

Go minimalist: Tank & Mask only.

theskull

theskull:
You don't need no stinking compass.

Just sense the magnetic energy and navigate by that.
I also recommend estimating your depth by how your ears feel.
What pressure gauge? You'll know when the air's gone.

theskull
good idea!!
ill just strap the tank to my chest, and sip air off the valve. i think you are onto something there!

theskull:
l
Generally divers would want their hands free. At least get some string to secure the tank to your belly.

Mask is a bit overkill don't you think? Also that glass on front is just another failure point. By pressing a hand to your forehead, you can catch an air bubble from your exhaled breath that allows you to see fine... Lets see the LDS try to sell you one of them soft straps for your hand!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom