Do I really need dive insurance and/or proof of a medical dive check up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is pretty common for operators that are a long way from medical assistance to require dive insurance. Several liveaboards that I have done require DAN insurance, one even signed you up on the spot if you didn't have it. (Mike Ball). Never seen the requirement for a recent medical ever.

There are very few operators that require Dive Insurance, in the Philippines only a couple come to mind. I am aware that several do equire a current medical release for diving. So if one advertises that they require one or the other the requirement must be met to dive with them...

As you are aware all require medical clearance for training.

Cheers,
Roger

I've seen a lot of places recommend dive insurance but not any that insist on it here in the Philippines, including liveaboards. Perhaps it's a translated sentence but any operator 'requiring dive insurance for repatriation' doesn't sound too inviting to me!

The standard for any courses is the medical questionnaire, only professional level courses or some technical courses require a physicians signature if you can answer all questions with no problems - plus this should only be for courses, normally fun diving requires a disclaimer only, part of this states you should be fit to dive within your certification limits.

We require insurance or we offer DAN short-time insurance for $20/week. At any rate, we require insurance. If you can't afford $20, you can't afford to travel further than the end of your hallway.

We all agree dive insurance is a must. I have read many websites talking about a medical clearance then re-read to realize that they mean if you want to take classes...which was Roger's point. On the sites I saw it the sentence was just placed in a way to cause you to think maybe it was a general requirement for diving. If you still can't tell after close reading, email would be my only suggestion, unless you have your annual physical scheduled for before your trip.

Rob

Hmm, I'm a bit off topic here, sorta.
When you get on my boat you sign a waiver and a medical release stating you've never had X Y or Z. If you have had X Y or Z there is a follow up form for your doctor to sign. No waiver, no medical release, no boat ride.

Also, if you are my student you are required to have DAN (or something similar) insurance. No proof of insurance, no class. This is to protect you and me both.

Back
Top Bottom