Do I really need dive insurance and/or proof of a medical dive check up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tendi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am seeing on dive shop websites that they require insurance and/or proof of a medical dive check up. Do I really need this? I haven't ever been asked to provide this before. And yes I understand that the insurance might be worth it and everyone should get check ups....blah blah blah. My question is....will the dive shop require it for us to dive.

My question is why you wouldn't want to buy dive insurance? If you're going overseas, is your insurance going to cover you should something happen? Will they pay for trips to the decompression chamber? Can you pay the thousands it might cost to do a few chamber rides? It's not that expensive in the grand scheme - even the most expensive policy.

And for the record, yes, I have been asked to provide proof.

When a dive op advertises such requirements, I take them at their word - and go elsewhere.

I'd be more concerned with the additional requirements they will tell you about when you get there.

I dive primarily in SoCal and have never been asked about insurance but once in Virginia Beach I found out at the last min the shop had that requirement. They reluctantly accepted my military Tricare Insurance. The basic DAN is pretty cheap, it may be easier to get that than arguing with the clerk behind the counter.

Question is can you afford treatment services for dive injury? Or, can you get arrangements made for evacuation as streamlined as DAN can?

My brother was in a severe accident (not dive related) and the one hour helicopter ride alone was $18,000 dollars. Even with good insurance that covers all but a copay (20% co-pay) ran him $3,600. Makes the $99 a year in dues a great investment.

Here's what I did, checked insurance policy and found out if they cover SCUBA diving (some may consider a hazardous rec activity and not cover) and what they cover and how much deductible and any other restrictions (over seas for example) then review the three plans offered by DAN and pick the one that best compliments your primary insurance. The DAN Standard (basic) is only 30/year plus membership and you get a diving magazine and you don't have to worry about the few shops that may want proof of dive insurance.

LOL. I thought maybe if I phrased my question right, I would get the answer I was looking for without a lot of people telling me why I need insurance. I guess I was wrong. No one commented on providing proof a medical check up. Has anyone had to do that? In the past I've only had to fill out the questionnaire....check all the no boxes. But, I've never been to SE Asia...maybe it's different there?

i have never heard of a "medical dive check-up." Include the web site links you are talking about, that may help. Obviously, if the dive shop says they require it well then they probably do.

Here is one example but I have seen it on other sites as well.

SeaQuest - Services Dive Safari
Divers requirements:
Advisable to be PADI advanced or level 2 or equivalent with more or less 30 logged dives. Certification card, log book and proof of dive insurance for repatriation. A valid dive medical check up somewhere within the last 12 months.

Looks like those dive operation wants to minimize their exposure to risk, the risk of someone who is very much out of shape and running into health-related emergencies. For a dive safari or a land-based dive op located in an area far from a hospital that can address dive-related injuries or life-threatening emergencies, these requirements do make sense. Using the SeaQuest dive requirements as an example, imagine an out-of-shape vacation diver experiencing an emergency which throws the entire safari schedule out of whack. Not only that, the dive op will have to fork out money to look after the emergency patient by transporting him to the nearest hospital which may be so far away by sea and land. The dive op forks out more money to refund guests and look after their needs due to the cancelled trip. I can imagine such a big headache! It will be an even bigger headache if the diver is not insured.:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom