Do I Need A Drysuit Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then we do "respectfully" disagree becuase when there is minimal air in your suit, it can vent naturally (no need to actively vent it) as you ascend while you actively vent your BC. Thus, I am not actively venting out of more than one air filled compartment, but I do have that quick dump option. It's all good though. There are many different ways to dive gear and finding what works for you is key! :D

mnj1233:
I would disagree "Respectively" about that. Bouancy should be controlled by the suit as a rule to avoid multiple air filled compartments to dump however as you get accustomed to the dry suit a little BC tweaking can help. So maybe the course aint so bad after all. Again I didnt take it but to each his/her own eh!!!!

Disagree with your disagreement....Dive Girl had it right. Dive the suit compressed, use the BC for its intended purpose...controlling buoyancy.

cyklon_300:
Disagree with your disagreement....Dive Girl had it right. Dive the suit compressed, use the BC for its intended purpose...controlling buoyancy.

Obviously never dove in cold water. Diving a dry-suit shell suit compressed is not an option. At 100 ft. or more the air needed to relax the suit is quite substantial. Add that to a BC with air can amount to problems. I define cold as 32-50 degrees.
No offense intended just disagree.

Like anything you don't have to take a speciality and taking one never makes you an expert. I've trained many divers in drysuit and I'm certain they found some value in it.

There are two schools of thought on using the drysuit for bouyancy or the bc for bouyancy. Obviously when new only put enough air in there to keep your outdoor plumbing outdoors. I primarily use the bc for bouyancy but I'll add a little extra air in there if I get chilled.

mnj1233:
I would disagree "Respectively" about that. Bouancy should be controlled by the suit as a rule to avoid multiple air filled compartments to dump however as you get accustomed to the dry suit a little BC tweaking can help. So maybe the course aint so bad after all. Again I didnt take it but to each his/her own eh!!!!

I agree with Dive Girl and cyklon. The dry suit inflator is used to offset squeeze. In recreational gear, if you're weighted properly, then you won't need anything else. But if you do, the BC should be the choice. Of course, as Al points out, there are 2 schools of thought on that.

One thing I do disagree with Dive Girl on is the dry suit quick dump valve. The exhaust valve on my dry suit can dump air just as quickly as the inflate valve can push it in. It has to be that way for safety. The problem, especially for new dry suit divers, is getting the air in the dry suit to the exhaust valve. :05:

mnj1233:
Obviously never dove in cold water. Diving a dry-suit shell suit compressed is not an option. At 100 ft. or more the air needed to relax the suit is quite substantial. Add that to a BC with air can amount to problems. I define cold as 32-50 degrees.
No offense intended just disagree.

'tropical' 50F dives, the suit/undies provide thermal protection and the BC handles buoyancy. If the water temp requires the addition of backgas or Argon be introduced into the suit to create loft in the underwear to be comfortable, then that happens. Diving the Michelin Man approach sounds problematic to me.

My view is that if you have a buddy experienced in drysuits a separate course paid for for a "speciality" is a complete and utter waste of money.

Practice with a buddy used to a suit, practice the inversions and rolls and once you've done that the best way to learn is by diving it. Sensibly first, starting off shallow and no deco etc.

Paying money for 1-2 dives to do exactly the same thing strikes me as pointless.

Drysuits arent complicated.

ianr33:
Well I guess I should have listened to all your words of caution. Went drysuit diving again today (still no course) and had a little bit of a ballistic ascent from 50 feet. Suit blew up like a balloon! In fact I still have not gotten it off !! (see pic) should I ask my buddy to cut it off for me??
Too funny...You got them all....Hook, Line and sinker.

ianr33:
Jeff,you have just restored my faith in Scubaboard:D
Your welcome....now go and get that drysuit class before you hurt yourself :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom