Do I Need A Drysuit Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

to buy your dive partner the steak and lobster dinner for saving you money for the course.

But, did he teach you everything you really need to know? There's more to DS diving than just adding and venting gas from the suit...my guess is you got what you paid for.

As far as the deco diving, you're obviously pushing the envelope...why steepen the learning curve so unnecessarily? Seems like another example of the 'cowboy' mentality that is becoming pretty prevalent on this board.

Just because you didn't die doesn't mean that you couldn't have...better check your ego at the door if you're serious about technical diving.

I've said it before, so those of you who've read my posts on this subject, you can just skip this part of the thread... :wink:

A drysuit is NOT another passive piece of dive equipment like a pair of fins that you just put on & use. It takes training to use one safely & effectively.

I can't tell you the number of people I've seen who were "test driving" a suit in open water, winding up inverted & out of control....

DON'T BE ONE OF THEM!

I didn't take a course. There was no such thing at the time. I suppose this means I am deficit in my skills and need to take one.

It sounds like you've covered most of the learning points; the rest is doing dives to burn in the skills. Be conservative for about ten dives. I remember my mantra was to keep ahead of the suit.

All the best, James

Nope..... I didn't take it, but I am fine. My GF didn't take it, but she is excellent on DS.

My wife and I are taking our DS courses this weekend, with the pool stuff tomorrow night. We don't have anyone local to show us the ropes, and we want to get decent with them before a trip in January.

From what I've read, a course might not be necessary, but why not take advantage of the expertise of your instructor? Besides, if a hundred bucks is a deal-breaker, scuba might not be the right hobby...

Well I guess I should have listened to all your words of caution. Went drysuit diving again today (still no course) and had a little bit of a ballistic ascent from 50 feet. Suit blew up like a balloon! In fact I still have not gotten it off !! (see pic) should I ask my buddy to cut it off for me??

I learned on myown but LDS's often will throw in the course to get you to buy one of their suits. Why not ask??? Can only say no. Class is good/required? No but good.

ianr33:
Well I guess I should have listened to all your words of caution. Went drysuit diving again today (still no course) and had a little bit of a ballistic ascent from 50 feet. Suit blew up like a balloon!

Thumbnail pic and joking aside, if you are serious about your rapid ascent in your suit due to failure to be able to vent, I have a question. Are you using your drysuit to regulate your buoyancy? If so, it is often recommend that you don't. Most instructors in my local area specifically bring up this issue in the drysuit course. Add just enough air in the drysuit to take the squeeze off and maintain your warmth, use your BC to regulate your buoyancy. Why? Your BC has quick dump valves (or at least should), your drysuit does not. If you start a rapid ascent, most BCs can be quick dumped from either an upright position (from the shoulder) or in an inverted position (from the dump at the back of the bladder). Drysuit courses also cover techniques you can use in the event you start to ascend too rapidly. A great drysuit courses covers preventative methods (such suggesting to not use your drysuit to regulate your buoyancy), and to me that is actually much more important.

This issue is not new and this suggestion is not unique. I would recommend conducting a search on SB for similar threads. :)

Dive_Girl PNW:
Thumbnail pic and joking aside, if you are serious about your rapid ascent in your suit due to failure to be able to vent, I have a question. Are you using your drysuit to regulate your buoyancy? If so, it is often recommend that you don't. Most instructors in my local area specifically bring up this issue in the drysuit course. Add just enough air in the drysuit to take the squeeze off and maintain your warmth, use your BC to regulate your buoyancy. Why? Your BC has quick dump valves (or at least should), your drysuit does not. If you start a rapid ascent, most BCs can be quick dumped from either an upright position (from the shoulder) or in an inverted position (from the dump at the back of the bladder). Drysuit courses also cover techniques you can use in the event you start to ascend too rapidly. A great drysuit courses covers preventative methods (such suggesting to not use your drysuit to regulate your buoyancy), and to me that is actually much more important.

This issue is not new and this suggestion is not unique. I would recommend conducting a search on SB for similar threads. :)

I would disagree "Respectively" about that. Bouancy should be controlled by the suit as a rule to avoid multiple air filled compartments to dump however as you get accustomed to the dry suit a little BC tweaking can help. So maybe the course aint so bad after all. Again I didnt take it but to each his/her own eh!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom