Do I have to fight ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

........Apparently you already bought your suit but for future references, JMJ and New Horizon have the Tplush material which has some sort of fuzzy liner that also help with getting in and out plus keeping you a bit warmer than a typical 7mm suit.

Actually, the merino wool lining doesn't need a rashguard. It is a plush type lining that is actually quite easy to get into when wet, if it's the right size. I am convinced his suit is just too small. They also will dry overnight in most conditions (turned inside out), so on multiday dives you don't get quite the 1st dive in the morning shock of other suits. You can even run it under the shower (if the boat has one) and warm it up a bit. :D

I use the baby shampoo spray bottle method . . . half shampoo/half water in a squirty thing -- spray inside of legs, slip them on. . . spray inside of arms . .slip them on . . .plus I have the added advantage of smelling like a baby while diving . . . oh wait, that's probably not a good thing for a guy . . ahhhh . . you'll smell like a sweaty old sock but at least the suit goes on easier.

The good news is, after a few trys, it actually gets easier.

I used to use this method until someone pointed out that the residue ain't good for reefs. It's a small amount individually but could add up if everyone took this approach.

I agree with the posters who think you may need a different size. I'm not a supermodel-shaped female, so I had to search for a 7mm that would fit my less-than-perfect shape. When I found it, it was a dream. I also use the half-water, half-conditioner spray trick, but have gone to an eco-friendly (more expensive) conditioner. A 7 is still more work than a 3, but it doesn't have to wear you out before you dive, or hurt when you dive.

I just discovered the benefits of a dive skin (rash guard) myself a few weeks ago. Night and day. Will probably never dive without one again.

Actually, the merino wool lining doesn't need a rashguard. It is a plush type lining that is actually quite easy to get into when wet ....

I struggled with getting into my Element (7mm - Merino lined) everytime I went diving, until I realized that when the lining was wet it was exponetially easier to put on ... I would try it wet before I went up a size

Just get a nylon or Spandex skin. The wet suit will slide on easily over the skin.

I dive a 7mm semi dry (PITA back shoulder drysuit zipper and seals at all the openings). It fits like it's painted on but it is a little trouble to get on. I'm 5'11", 210# but only a 34" waist. I got a Large by WaterProof's (swedish company's) sizing but I fit well into a L pinnacle as well (s guessing their size charts are similar).

My suit stretched out in all the right places for a perfect fit after about 15 dives. And now I can't imagine diving another size (or another suit but that's a different story). However, for the first few dives I battled with it and 15 min start to finish wasn't at all unusual. I found either a mix of half conditioner, half water or a thorough spraying of SuitJuice made it a LOT easier to get the suit on. I'd recommend you try that.

A proper fitting wetsuit shouldn't allow a lot of water flow. I'm guessing you're dealing with normal break-in type issues and they'll go away in another dozen or so dives.

Well... First of all thank you all...
I listened you guys and realized that I am an idiot.
Duh!!!I have a month old Pinnacle rash guard laying on my boat. Somebody else told me that Merino lining doesn't require rash guard so I wasn't using it cause i thought that it will not work anyways. Boy was I wrong..

So I tried it and VOILA !!!! I can easily say that it made donning 75% easier. Actually before I wasn't able to put my wetsuit on, on my own. every time I tried to put it on myself alone I gave up after 10-15 minutes of struggle. But again rash guard made it definitely easier to don.

What I am thinking is, to keep the suit and use it with the rash guard for the next 10-15 dives (break in period?) After then I can try to don without the rash guard.
Seems like it may work.
Also since I came to island I lost 14 lbs. who knows I may lose another few lbs to make the suit fit better.

Thanks for the reminders again guys.

You are the best bunch on the net !!!

Good stuff, I was going to suggest a rash guard or spandex type undergarment (I wear Under Armor long sleeved spandex shirt/boxer briefs). It helps a lot with my 3mm Pinnacle Merino.

I too am one of those people between sizes, but I do not wish to dish out for a custom wetsuit. It is a tad snug, but fits great once wet and on.

Good luck sir! :)

Glad it worked out. I have a 7mm Merino as well and love it. I haven't tried a rash guard but don't have a hard time with the suit. All of my diving thus far has been from shore so if the suit isn't quite right at first, I just jump in the water and it slides right to where it's supposed to be :)

Can't wait until next year when I can get a dry suit though. No changing before getting into the suit would be fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom