Do I have to fight ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt.JimDavis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
...with the wetsuit I mean...

I've purchased the Pinnacle's 7 mm Merino lined Elastiprene which is claimed to be the super stretchy material and that's supposed to make donning and doffing very easy.

Well, I tried on land (dry) and even though I am at the lower end or middle of the Pinnacle size chart's values for King 2 it is still a lot of struggle to get in this thing.
Sometimes donning this thing is impossible without a friend's help and unfortunately my butler isn't always available when I am donning my wetsuit:rofl3:

By the time I am in the suit I must be fighting at least for 15-20 minutes and breathless with cramps on my shoulder, back, arms and I am ready to lay down for a full body massage, forget about diving... :coolingoff:

Plus it is very snug fit. I don't know if it's right or wrong since this is my first wetsuit after owning another one for a short period for 17 years ago. I don't remember how thick it was, how it felt...Plus 17 years ago I was 90lbs lighter. Now 6' and 240lbs with 42 waist.
I was reading about that super stretchy material ballooning when people come out of the water. Mine felt like I was shrink wrapped tightly on my body. When I dive with this suit it felt like dry suit and I couldn't feel the water for the entire 20 minutes of my dive.

Well, Scuba.com/Pinnacle has a great no question ask return policy for 30 days on my pinnacle wetsuit. But if I return this then what should I try next? Or should I wait for this suit to considerably loosen up after few dives or months? Is this common?

Or wondering will it be better for me to get a 2 piece suit for the ease of donning? Of course than the problem is the thickness. For SoCal waters if I get 7 mil 2 piece suit than I'll end up having 14 mil on my core and float like a buoy and may need a ship's anchor instead of regular weights. If I get thinner suit in order to keep my core around 6-7 mil than my arms and legs may get cold...:depressed:

Well, it's a dilemma that bothering and keeping me busy since days. I love the quality and the design of the current wetsuit but donning this thing is like me fighting with Mike Tyson.

I don't know....:confused:

http://www.wetwear.com/sportdivers.htm Look at the second one down, the EZ-On

Connie shows up to all of the dive shows. They make a suit with full arm and leg zippers.... all the way up and down, gusseted with spandex.

In and out in 30 seconds. No muss, fuss, or exertion.

There are two things that worked for me putting on a wetsuit:
- getting it wet before I put it on. Some (all?) wetsuits expand a little when wet
- put a plastic bag over my hand or foot and then slide into the wetsuit. Works like a charm. Any plastic bag works.

I use the baby shampoo spray bottle method . . . half shampoo/half water in a squirty thing -- spray inside of legs, slip them on. . . spray inside of arms . .slip them on . . .plus I have the added advantage of smelling like a baby while diving . . . oh wait, that's probably not a good thing for a guy . . ahhhh . . you'll smell like a sweaty old sock but at least the suit goes on easier.

The good news is, after a few trys, it actually gets easier.

Thanks for all the responses and advice friends...

My surprise was that if this much work is involved in donning a wetsuit which is claimed to be made from the world's most stretching material, what will happen with the ones made out of regular neoprene?

I guess those must be put on surgically.

Does anybody here had experienced the HUGE(!) difference between the regular neoprene wetsuits and these other wetsuits which is made with these super stretchy or hyper stretchy new stuff ?
Is the difference really like day and night?
When manufacturers claim that these stuff stretches 200% to 250% of its original size, I thought it'll be a breeze to get in. Well, I may need a hurricane to get in since breeze won't happening!

I knew and expecting that it'll be a little tough to get into a regular wetsuit and that's why I thought this super stretchy (Elastiprene) material with merino lining, thinking that it will make it significantly easy to don as the manufacturer claims.
Well, I guess NOT!

Again, I don't know if it will stretch enough after a month or so to make the donning comfortable? If that's the case I'll keep it. But if it won't, I don't want to stuck with it and return it within the 30 days of my purchase date.
Of course my busy work schedule not helping too. I could dive or snorkel as much as I could if i had free time within this 30 days to see if it will make a difference. If it doesn't then return it.
Scuba.com told me that this product could be used for diving and after being submerged numerous times within the 30 days still could be returned if the performance is not satisfactory.
They call "No Question Asked 100% Pinnacle Satisfaction Guaranty".

Last edited:
Jim, You may need to go up one size from their chart. I had a Large Short that fit like a custom suit. I loved that thing. Then I broke the zipper, and they replaced it for me. Sent me a replacement, same size markings, but was 2" shorter and tight as hell. They sent me an XL and even that is a bit tight. I've heard there are some sizing issues between two places that do the sewing. I'd call and talk to them and see if they will exchange it for you. They are great to deal with, although a bit frazzled right now because of the merger with Zeagle.

I agree with the poster above who suggests you may be one size too small. I have two Henderson Hyper-Stretch wetsuits (3mm and 7mm) and am larger than you (6'5" and 2...many pounds). Both fit ok ... the 7mm is harder to get into than the 3mm simply because the extra thickness is stiffer, but I don't have the problems you are experiencing.

You can douse raw talc on the inside of the legs and arms and that will really help getting into your wetsuit (just like drysuit divers who talc up their seals to make getting in easier). Don't use baby powder or anything scented because the perfume has oil in it which could deteriorate the neoprene over time.

Another thing I have discovered is that both you and the inside of the wetsuit have to either be bone dry or both wet, or they are a bear to install. If my wetsuit is still damp inside, or I am damp outside, I will actually put the suit on in the water if possible (or use a hose or shower) to get both wet before putting it on.

That wetsuit is too small. I've fought the same fight with a couple suits. Although I thought one had to wear a *tight* suit in order to minimize the cold water's impact on me, I was wrong. When I did find a suit that fit well, then dove it, I was very happy with the suit's ability ( actually, the fitting ) to control the water.

I'm just about the same size as you maybe 10lbs lighter. I use the following, it's easy to get on and off. Plus there's almost no inharent boyancy, meaning no need to load up on the weight. I also have the shorty version of this suit. I wear an XL in these suits.

BARE Scuba Diving - USA

Ditto on the smaller sizing issue. My merino 3 mil is a med large but I needed a large short to get into the 5 mm one. A 7 I don't even want to think about- That's why I have semi custom drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom