do i HAVE to dive the blue hole?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaydub:
I didnt stay at a "budget" hotel while on ambergris but if I go to ambergris again I definitely will which will help free up more funds for even more diving. Click this link for info on almost all hotels on ambergris caye ---> http://www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/lodge/lodging.html

If you are looking for some place pretty cheap I think Pedro's backpackers inn looks pretty cheap. It looks kinda old and rotten from the outside but the inside pictures dont look too bad, pool table, bar, free internet access, pool, 24hr security, BBQ, tv's. I havent stayed there so I cant give an accurate description of the place.

Pedro's is less than 2 years old and I've never before heard of it being described as looking "old and rotten". Pedro himself, yes, but not the building. The building has 2 pool tables, table football, several TVs showing sports, free internet (I'm using it now) and as of last week a restaurant run by a very good chef. It is fast becoming THE place to eat.

peterbj7:
Pedro's is less than 2 years old and I've never before heard of it being described as looking "old and rotten". Pedro himself, yes, but not the building. The building has 2 pool tables, table football, several TVs showing sports, free internet (I'm using it now) and as of last week a restaurant run by a very good chef. It is fast becoming THE place to eat.
:14:

Jaydub obviously hasn't done his homework. How many Michelin Star Level chefs are there in Belize? Daily Specials at $15 is seriously good value; no wonder in less than a fortnight 20 meals are sold at lunchtime alone.

Casa Picasso and other top food houses on the island now have some serious competition. Pedro's is open lunchtimes now and people are actually coming Jaydub.

Just got back from Belize May 7th and we decided to skip the blue hole. Instead we managed to put together a Lighthouse three wall dive trip with peterbj7 (Protechs) help. We ended up with a group of 10 of us going. The dives were by far the highlight of the trip and nobody on the boat felt they missed anything by skipping the hole. If you can get in on a trip like this do it. You won't be sorry.

Highly reccomend Protech for diving. Great staff and small groups.

I actually didn't catch it, but let out a squeal that halted activity 2 docks down in either direction. Next time I'll catch it in my mouth (eewwieewie)

WyattEarp:
Just got back from Belize May 7th and we decided to skip the blue hole. Instead we managed to put together a Lighthouse three wall dive trip with peterbj7 (Protechs) help. We ended up with a group of 10 of us going. The dives were by far the highlight of the trip and nobody on the boat felt they missed anything by skipping the hole. If you can get in on a trip like this do it. You won't be sorry.

Highly reccomend Protech for diving. Great staff and small groups.
Good to hear. I dived with Protech one day when there 2 years ago, but didn't meet Peter. Next time!!

Oh that too... I heard the dive is early in the am (read protech's review of it on their website) and it's kind of gray and murky. But, the girls saw lots of sharks!

In my opinion, the Blue Hole is a waste of time and only serves to bump your residual nitrogen count. I know others have said they saw sharks, but I think that's kind of rare. My dive to 140 feet in the Blue Hole was actually quite boring. Vis wasn't very good, virtually no fish, no coral, 5 minute bottom time at depth to see the stalagtites.

Some people really like the deep stuff just for the challenge - I didn't care for it.

JP

johnspierce:
In my opinion, the Blue Hole is a waste of time and only serves to bump your residual nitrogen count. I know others have said they saw sharks, but I think that's kind of rare. My dive to 140 feet in the Blue Hole was actually quite boring. Vis wasn't very good, virtually no fish, no coral, 5 minute bottom time at depth to see the stalagtites.

Some people really like the deep stuff just for the challenge - I didn't care for it.

JP

I'm really surprised you didn't see sharks. We saw fins on the surface as soon as the boat pulled to the mooring line, and sharks throughout the dive. Bulls and reef.

There are few other fish and no coral, but it's a very unique experience.

If you're in Belize for a week and make 15-20 dives on amazing reefs, I think how unusual this setting is makes it worthwhile. It's not a challenge (unless you're inexperienced and should avoid it), but in 20yrs and hundreds of reef dives, I'll never forget the BH.

Back
Top Bottom