Do Commercial Divers need OW cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seanthomas101 said:
Guys, I am a full time commercial diver. A real commercial diver, Kirby Morgan, deep sea, went to The Divers Institute of Technology welding burning salvage diver with 1000 plus working dives. Not a scrub a 20 foot boat in a marina on scuba "commercial diver".

That's great....:worship: You may have paid too much for your training????
I'm very sure people skills were not included.... Still congrats and safe diving.

Guys, I am a full time commercial diver. A real commercial diver, Kirby Morgan, deep sea, went to The Divers Institute of Technology welding burning salvage diver with 1000 plus working dives. Not a scrub a 20 foot boat in a marina on scuba "commercial diver". I also have a PADI master instructor rating and was a full time scuba instructor for 7 years. TRUST me, damn near every school out there that trains commercial divers puts their classes through a basic open water course. I had to go through an open water class as a student even though I am a master instructor. Is it required to get into school NO, because they train you while you are there. It is not required. Working divers do not use scuba.

Yeah yeah yeah .... come see me when you get your Sat ticket.

Hey, my next cleaning is a surveying vessel with a 9 ft draft, 110 ft and 68 tons if you wanna come down and tell me I dont know what im doing ill give you the location.Ill even supply the 27 and compressor:catfight:

I'm curious what's the vis like when your hull cleaning?
Most dock areas, it sucks.

I'm curious what's the vis like when your hull cleaning?
Most dock areas, it sucks.
Completely dependent upon local ambient visibility conditions and how much growth is being removed from the hull. My experience is that (in California at least) visibility in most saltwater marinas is quite adequate, certainly good enough to not be an issue while performing in-water hull cleaning activities.

Completely dependent upon local ambient visibility conditions and how much growth is being removed from the hull. My experience is that (in California at least) visibility in most saltwater marinas is quite adequate, certainly good enough to not be an issue while performing in-water hull cleaning activities.

Its great locally in Point Pleasant NJ, but recently I did some work in the Hudson River in NY and it was ZERO vis with a ripping current. Ive never seen a marina have 3 foot swells, but get some heavy vessel traffic and all the floating docks were damn near awash. luckily I was wearing a 27, if not I would have had a nice fluke laceration and a crushed skull. I never realized how much a houseboat moves around until its put under those conditions..

First off, Thanks for the feedback. I did some work in the Detroit River, years back, near Zug island, I
was really surprised at the vis, that being the dirtiest square mile on earth at the time, though it was through the ice.

Last edited:
I was just at the inlet near my house in NJ and wow.. Clear all the way to the bottom, some 20 feet and I mean CLEAR, you could make out every clamshell on the seabed. I wasnt diving just doing some research for a potential recovery but I swear Ive never seen the inlet that clear. Almost would make diving fun! HAHA!

Back
Top Bottom