Do Commercial Divers need OW cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Commercial diving schools require Open Water certification as a pre-requisite to prepare students for the basics of diving physics, physiology, and don't hold you breath. That way they don't have to go over the basics.

Im yet to finish my open water since I had an eye infection the week of my final dive, and yes I am still waiting to complete it. The only reason I wanted to be OW was to have tanks filled for doing my small side business. Come to find out there is nothing that says you CANT get a tank filled, nor anything that says you CAN. On the other hand, if I walk into my buddys shop and I provide documentation that I am a Commercial Diver, then end up dying or being hurt because I took those tanks and went wreck diving, hes hands are clean since he filled them under the pretenses that I was using them for work. Therefore, you do not need to be open water cert to say, go replace zincs on a vessel but you DO need it if you wanted to go play around underwater. As my instructor told me, you are scuba certified for commercial use, but you are not open water.

Commercial diving schools require Open Water certification as a pre-requisite to prepare students for the basics of diving physics, physiology, and don't hold you breath. That way they don't have to go over the basics.

Not true with the school I went to. We had a few days in the pool after classroom dive physics, did ditch and don in the deep end yadda yadda. If you wanted to get your PADI card, it was extra money, going back over dive physics, back in the pool, and open water dives.

Guys, I am a full time commercial diver. A real commercial diver, Kirby Morgan, deep sea, went to The Divers Institute of Technology welding burning salvage diver with 1000 plus working dives. Not a scrub a 20 foot boat in a marina on scuba "commercial diver". I also have a PADI master instructor rating and was a full time scuba instructor for 7 years. TRUST me, damn near every school out there that trains commercial divers puts their classes through a basic open water course. I had to go through an open water class as a student even though I am a master instructor. Is it required to get into school NO, because they train you while you are there. It is not required. Working divers do not use scuba.

Guys, I am a full time commercial diver. A real commercial diver, Kirby Morgan, deep sea, went to The Divers Institute of Technology welding burning salvage diver with 1000 plus working dives.
Thank God there's a real, full time commercial, welding, burning, salvage diver here to give us the straight dope. Otherwise we might have to rely on those friggin' lowly hull cleaners.

Jeezus. Self-important much?
rolleyes.gif

A Louisiana Hotel Keeper called the police and said, "send help, we have a riot going on".
What's the problem the dispatcher said? There's ten drunk nude commerical divers tearing up the
bar, and raising hell. Maam, the dispatcher said, if there nude, how do you know there commercial divers?
The Hotel Keeper said, "I know they're all commercial divers, they all have Big Watches and little dick$.....:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Last edited:
I may not always dive SUR-D , but when I do.. I make fun of everyone who cleans boats for a living. Oh by the way. Im a REAL COMMERCIAL DIVER TOO! I just dont make fun of people who arent. And if you wanna play the chest puffing game... Im also a wounded Iraq Veteran. :cheers:

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Guys, I am a full time commercial diver. A real commercial diver, Kirby Morgan, deep sea, went to The Divers Institute of Technology welding burning salvage diver with 1000 plus working dives. Not a scrub a 20 foot boat in a marina on scuba "commercial diver". I also have a PADI master instructor rating and was a full time scuba instructor for 7 years. TRUST me, damn near every school out there that trains commercial divers puts their classes through a basic open water course. I had to go through an open water class as a student even though I am a master instructor. Is it required to get into school NO, because they train you while you are there. It is not required. Working divers do not use scuba.

Thank God someone around here knows what they are doing

I think most hull cleaners understand that they are not in the same league with hard hat divers, and don't pretend otherwise. While I do recieve remuneration for the work I do underwater and therefore by the strictest sense of the term am a "commercial diver", I never describe myself as such.

I also suspect that part of what makes a good commercial diver, ie: big brass balls, also tends to make some of them arrogant douchebags. :D

Last edited:
I like to joke around with Scuba guys, but hey, you would NEVER get me down past say 60 ft on a scuba rig, I feel cozy in a Kirby Morgan. A friend of mine has a shop and im always busting his balls saying " hey if you ever wanna dive like a REAL man heres my card " but he knows im joking. He thinks im crazy for doing surface supplied, and I think hes crazy going to 180 ft with a tank on your back.

Those scubadoo's laughed at me and called me "Spaceman".
Those ba$tard$......:shakehead:

Attachments

• 005_5.jpg
    005_5.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 617
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom