Do a DM internship or just dive more?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

copacetic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Disclaimer: this is one of those "I'm young and inexperienced and need advice" posts. I just joined the forum today but have been visiting long enough to know that Scubaboard (and this board in particular) gets a lot of these posts. I'm sure some of you are sick of them.

Here's some relevant background info: I'm 23 and graduated college last year. Like many people my age, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life. I did my OW two years ago while studying abroad and fell in love with diving. A few months later, I did AOW and Rescue Diver. After getting certified, I spent a year in school in the middle of Virginia and the next year working six days a week at a residential outdoor education center. I was short on free time and money and, as a result, have only logged 19 dives to date. I absolutely, completely love diving and am eager to gain (much!) more experience and knowledge. I'm pursuing a career in marine science/conservation, so diving is something I plan to do for the rest of my life. I'm also interested in the prospect of a professional dive career in addition to whatever else I end up doing.

Ok, now here's the decision that I need to make. I'll be spending the next seven or eight months in Australia on a work and holiday visa. I want to gain lots of dive experience while I'm there but have limited funds. In the spirit of figuring out what I want to do with my life, it occurred to me that I could do a Divemaster internship while I'm down there- it would be a way to gain dive experience while working with knowledgable instructors and learning new skills. I know that the course is hard work but I love learning and think it sounds like a great experience. It would definitely give me an idea of whether or not a dive career is something that I'm interested in. I don't have any misconceptions about the glamorous DM life or what an internship would entail; I know that this is not a way to make any sort of money and that I would end up doing a lot of labor in the dive shop. (I have contacted several dive shops and found two that will take me on as an intern. One program is free but will, I'm sure, require much more labor. The other is a standard DM course price and they'll let me stay on as a trainee to acquire the dives that I need for the certification. That's not a choice that I need to make yet, though.) My question for you all is: should I do it? Or am I better off just diving as much as I can down there and considering DM sometime in the future?

I'll offer the same advice as on the neighbouring thread. Divemaster (and later Instructor) is for those who like working with students. The course itself, IMO, only improves your own diving marginally. I started the DM course with 158 dives, but I guess everyone is different. Do you want to teach? Of course, DMs also work charter trips, but usually (not always) the pay is tips only. This CAN involve diving as part of the job. Or, are you interested in working as a diver?--ei. -- as in, for example, Commercial Diver. Lots to consider.

I can't tell you which way you should go. But I can tell you what you will get out of a good DM internship.

You should learn how to behave as a professional. How to support students in learning how to dive, converting embarrassing moments into teaching moments.

You will accumulate a lot of time sitting in ten feet of water, watching students learn to clear masks. During the second pool day of Open water classes, you will perfect your hover as you watch over students sitting on the bottom as the instructor tests each individual student on CESA and buddy breathing.

If you are a good DM candidate, you will learn about situational awareness. You will be the first one to see that the waves picked up during open water dive one, and that the students need to be coached to watch the waves before exiting one buddy pair at a time. You will learn when buddy pairs of students need to stay really really close and when you can let them more than an arms length away. You will learn, sometimes, to spot the person who is going to panic on open water dive 2. Or in the pool. Or before they get in the pool.

All of this stuff does make you a better diver. In addition, you might acquire "demonstration quality" skills, and those might be helpful too. But the other stuff is not in the brochure, and it's the stuff that will make you a diver that I want to buddy up with!

Make sure you get an instructor who likes teaching. That's why I DM. Its amazing to see land lubbers become fish in a few short lessons.

Dive safe!

Be very honest with yourself. You have 19 total lifetime dives, right? Do you have ANYTHING to offer students or clients you might guide? Don't you think that someone who is offering to take responsibility for people with almost no, or very limited diving experience, ought to have a fair bit of their own?

Using the DM internship as a way to develop your own diving doesn't seem like the proper use of the program, to me. But then I waited until I had about 800 dives before I went for my DM. I wanted to make sure I had something very real to offer.

Many back-packers/gap-yearers do DM courses across S.E.Asia and Australia during their travels. The courses vary in quality, but those involved in them do gain a vast exposure to scuba diving... both during internships and (if) they subsequently work in that role.

If you love diving...and plan on doing a lot of diving during your travels, then a DM internship can offer a remarkably cheap economy when you consider the cost-per-dive. That gets even better post-qualification, even if you work for free. It's still better than paying for all those dives. The drawback, as you identified, is that you'll work hard and suffer some stress during the dives that you wouldn't otherwise encounter as a 'customer'. Some might say that 'stress' is a good thing for your development as an experienced diver.

Unlike the USA (where assisting instructors in the main focus of DM work), in Asia/Pacific most DMs are primarily focused upon supervising certified divers (i.e. guiding fun divers). The focus puts a premium on real dive leadership. Dive leadership is an excellent skill-set to develop, even if you don't intend to use those skills 'professionally' in the long term. It encompasses the development of situational awareness, preparedness, anticipation of problems and risk awareness. It entails understanding the strengths and weaknesses of those divers you encounter and guide underwater. It makes you a solid and dependable diver. Of course... all that is dependent on your own mindset and level of responsibility.. :wink:

I don't think that undertaking a 'gap-year' DM experience is a bad thing - providing you harbor no illusions of transforming yourself into the next 'Poseidon' over a couple of weeks or months. Keep you ego in check (many don't) and always look higher for role-models and mentors. Remain realistic of where you're really "at" in respect to your skills and experience.

If you decide to follow this potential plan... DO A LOT OF RESEARCH on potential DM course providers. There's a lot of chaff to sort through...

Just keep diving. What you want to do with it will come to you with time and experience.

I agree with the sentiment that it's early stages - the life of the professional diver does seem sort of glamorous at first, however you also mention that you're under no illusions as to what the program actually requires and delivers - so, let's make some things very clear.

Firstly, there is no such thing as a "free" internship. There is always a price to pay, and that may come in the form of required materials, equipment purchase or rental, accommodation, certification fees, medical exams. There are centres that offer "work for training" programs and these can vary between excellent and outright slave labour. DM training itself (as in the act of doing skills circuits and helping with courses and loading boats) is a relatively inexpensive overhead when compared with actually paying somebody to do that job - so be wary of the difference between "work for training" and "unpaid work".

As has been previously mentioned, the DM program does not teach you per se how to be a better diver, although a good program will inevitably make you a better diver, simply because of the learning curve you have to go through in order to become a good assistant or supervisor of other divers. You will most likely work long hours - same as the other dive staff - and may be required to do everything from cleaning the toilets to scraping barnacles off the underside of the dive boat to meeting and greeting customers to entertaining them in the evenings.

I have encountered far too many DM candidates who thought that there would be a lot of fun and some diving and then a bit of work and a DM certification at the end of it. A proper internship is hard work, and a crappy internship even harder work, because actually, working full time in the dive business is very often hard work! If you know what you're up against, and are prepared to accept the downsides to life as a dive pro in a busy resort area (doesn't have to be, there are alternatives), but if it's something you want to do full-time then make sure you understand exactly what is required of you, but on the other hand, to balance that, I promise you that life in the dive world can be immensely fulfilling, rewarding, and just simply awesome. I wouldn't do it otherwise!

Ask lots of questions, find out exactly what is offered and what is not, maybe even see if you can follow a DM trainee as a paying customer to see if it's something you would enjoy - I've had people do this before. Make certain it's what you want, because if it's not, you will inevitably spend a lot of money for nothing.

Some people will say that 19 dives is not enough to know whether or not you love diving. I disagree. I walked into the water 13 years ago and I never really left. I fell in love with it the first time I tried it, and I do not regret the path I have chosen for a heartbeat, although there have been many regrets along the way. If you are passionate enough to want to work in the ocean for a career - whether that be as a dive pro or a marine biologist, then you have an excellent opportunity to get started, since many such projects will require professional level training. Be careful, ask questions, take on board all advice given.

And I wish you well.

Regards,

Crowley

Thanks so much for the intelligent replies, guys. You've really given me a lot to think about.

Be very honest with yourself. You have 19 total lifetime dives, right? Do you have ANYTHING to offer students or clients you might guide? Don't you think that someone who is offering to take responsibility for people with almost no, or very limited diving experience, ought to have a fair bit of their own?

Obviously, I have nothing to offer anyone at this point. I guess I'm approaching from the standpoint of "how can I gain a ton of experience, learn a lot from those much more experienced than myself, and get an idea of what it would be like to work in the dive industry?" rather than "how can I share my (nonexistent) dive knowledge with others?" Maybe I'm approaching it wrong. Do you think that divers should only go DM once they have gained enough experience that they feel ready to share it with others?

Do you think that divers should only go DM once they have gained enough experience that they feel ready to share it with others?

Absolutely!

I think you’ll find most instructors and DM’s alike will probably recommend other classes that would further your diving knowledge and skills.

But honestly IMO it’s too soon for you to get into a divemaster internship program, and I'd be very weary of any shop that would allow someone with 19 total dives to enter into one. I was diving for 10 years before I did my DM class. Like TsandM, I wanted to have something to offer as a divemaster.

On another note if you’re already shorting you diving because of financials, you might want to note that PADI DM’s pay for insurance and PADI pro memberships out of pocket if the shop they’re working at doesn’t cover it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom