Do a DM internship or just dive more?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But honestly IMO it’s too soon for you to get into a divemaster internship program, and I'd be very weary of any shop that would allow someone with 19 total dives to enter into one.

Yeah, I think I agree. You also make a good point about the financial aspect. If only diving weren't such an expensive passion....

It sounds like the best thing for me to do would be to scrap the DM internship and just dive as much as I can when I'm down there. If go with my own equipment and am smart about finding work to fund my travel/diving, I think that I can turn this into a chance to gain lots of experience and hopefully meet some awesome people along the way. Then, next year or sometime after that, I can reconsider going pro.

Thanks again for all of the advice and info. I'm so glad that this community exists.

I'm not sure what the exact number is but I believe you need 60 logged dives to even start the DM program...and 100 to graduate out .
My advice would be to go get some more dives in a few different environments to bring your skill sets up,then look for a program when your closer to those numbers...

I'm not sure what the exact number is but I believe you need 60 logged dives to even start the DM program...and 100 to graduate out .
My advice would be to go get some more dives in a few different environments to bring your skill sets up,then look for a program when your closer to those numbers...

I believe that is for PADI Instructor. PADI DM is now 40 to start course, 60 to be certified. I believe not too long ago it was 20 to start (same as was Rescue. No number needed for Rescue now, just Adventure Cert.). 20 to start DM seemed ridiculously low.

I believe that is for PADI Instructor. PADI DM is now 40 to start course, 60 to be certified.

Yep, you're right.I just looked it up...

I've found a few DM internship programs in Australia that will take you on with 20 dives. Maybe they don't let you start the actual coursework until you get up to 40? I'm not sure.

copacetic;

to become a good diver you need to dive with great divers, unfortunately most OW shops don't really teach good diving habits. you need to find a shop the specializes in technical diving where bad habits and bad trim are removed because they can get you killed. Take some advanced courses like Deep, Cavern, and other advanced classes that may suit your interest to build on your skills. A DiveMaster is nothing more than an unpaid dive guide or a baby sitter to allow instructors to teach more students per class. some days you get good tips and other days you work your ass off and bearly get a thank you.

with that said the DM path for me is a holding point prior to going to IDC training which requires 6 months of DM internship. by the time I do my IDC I will be full cave certified and really be able to provide training for students all the way from OW to full Cave. this is my long term retirement strategy.

if marine science is your long term passion you may also want to check out Eckerd college in tampa fl not can you follow you college aspersion, but they also run their own dive boat and marine rescue service as well as being able to come dive with your truly at EZ Scuba and really get good in a very short time.

hope this helps, either way follow your dreams and never let anyone stop you....

DM Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

copacetic;
hope this helps, either way follow your dreams and never let anyone stop you....

Thanks, Tom :) I'll certainly be looking into Eckerd College. I actually considered going there for undergrad but chose to stay in-state.

I would agree with Tom in that you want to explore all the options available to you in diving. To use a scuba term, I believe it would be perceptual narrowing. Being a professional instructor is just one of paths you can take. There are also possibilities in the marine sciences and commercial diving industries, for example. I am a big fan of higher education so I would say look at the options available for each of these career paths.

It comes down to what type of person you are and where you believe your strengths lie. If you like teaching you could consider either the marine sciences or the professional dive instructor. Commercial diving (atleast from what I read) tends to be more oriented towards technical skills that you will perform while diving. Or you could be a research and dive marking transects and taking samples.

For me, I chose the DM course because diving is my life outside of my M-F, 9-5. I felt I had enough dives and was ready. And yes, it definately is a cost effective option for doing a lot of diving. :) But for me, I also feel that it is a "calling" because you will spend a lot of time starting at the back of people's heads while they perform training exercises and will be required to learn a lot of theory and additional skills that will make you an overall better diver.

You are young so you have many options open to you. Think hard and make a well informed choice!

I've decided to scrap the DM internship (for now!) and turn my backpacking trip into a dive-as-much-as-I-can trip. I'll plan my trip around good dive spots, find temporary work where I can, and just get as much dive experience as possible. Hopefully at the end of seven months I'll be a better diver and have an idea of whether I want diving to be a hobby or a potential career path.

Thanks again for all of the advice. This has been super helpful!

I'd like to purchase some of my own equipment for the trip so that I don't have to rent everything every time I go diving. I just made a post about it on the equipment board so please comment there if you have any input for me :)

good idea. with the dollar going the way it is, you've just bought yourself a 20% longer holiday anyway. by doing what you were you were going to see very little of Australia while working your ass off for next to nothing. this way you'll be able to do more, see more, and meet more like minded people in similar stages of their lives.

the DM course is a teaching course. I wanted to spend my weekends getting to know people, doing something different and giving a bit back. I also love teaching and people... so it was a good investment in the hobby for me. If you want to know more about diving, buy the PADI rec diving encyclopedia... it's [surprisingly] a really good book.

many people I know are certified DM's and have assisted on one or two courses and hated it. $1600 wasted.

as for kit, it'd be an absolute pain in the ass to lug a full kit around, even the lightest of gear will weigh too much for a backpacker. I think you need to assess whether you want a diving holiday or a backpacking holiday and do a bit of the other during your time.

IF you're dead set... fins, mask, 1mm SharkSkin LS top (google the brand, there are others that offer similar products), possibly some regs, (basic DIN 1st stage + occy as some require it) and a computer with a transmitter to save space).

wetsuits and BCD's you can hire which will drive up cost but I'd strongly recommend not buying a BCD and travelling with it and a wetsuit is useless as southern Aus requires 7/5min and FNQ requires 1/3max...

weight is a huge issue. I bought a oceanic probe and regret it every time I pack for a holiday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom