DMT in Thailand - Koh Tao or Koh Lanta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elanor_k

Registered
Reaction score
Hi-
I am planning to do my DMT in Thailand for 5-6 weeks starting end Feb. Got my flight but still haven't decided where in Thailand.
My first thought was Koh Tao - then after sifting through this board maybe Koh Lanta may be a better option?
Could you give me some recommendations or comparisons? It doesn't have to be either of both, I am happy to hear about other places.
I have dived around 300 logs now, mostly in the Philippines and Indonesia. Went to Thailand only once to the Similans 5 years or so ago.

My preferences would be:
- High quality, professional teaching & personal support
- Happy, safe atmosphere but less parties
- Interesting diving spots nearby ( I think this is where Koh Lanta might be weak)

Optional:
- Inexpensive living costs
- Other activities such as yoga classes possible in the area

Also, do you have any tips for recognizing a 'good' DM school? Are there any answers that I definitely should hear/ a checklist I want to go through before deciding?

Thank you in advance all for your comments!

Last edited:
Koh Lanta will offer far better diving than Koh Tao.

In Koh Tao you'll be one of many, with its advantages and disadvantages.

Only advantage is low cost and I bet yoga classes.

Disadvantage is crowds in the class and underwater and so so diving and a DMT cert that says Koh Tao on it.

To bad you already have ticket to Thailand
As you know the diving much better in Indonesia.

Only advantage is low cost and I bet yoga classes.

Disadvantage is crowds in the class and underwater and so so diving and a DMT cert that says Koh Tao on it.

To bad you already have ticket to Thailand
As you know the diving much better in Indonesia.
Other advantages are easy opportunities for many dives, see many different instructors, see many DMTs with their good and bad things, assist with courses in stead of only guiding, and I'm sure that if I sit down and think about it I can come up with a few more.

I would recommend Koh Lanta over Koh Tao every time. I have worked in both locations, and the diving is much better on Lanta - there are great sites, the pick of which are Hin Daeng & Hin Muang (good chances of mantas and occasional whale sharks too), but Koh Ha is also very good. From Lanta, the boats also go to the dive sites of Phi Phi.

Check out Hidden Depths and Lanta Diver...

Koh Lanta diving is far better than Koh Tao. From Koh Lanta you can dive the PhiPhi sites (is king cruiser still dividable?, Koh Haa, and the amazing Hin Daeng/Muang. Each of these are much better than Chumpon Pinnacle and Sail Rock, and even better in Feb. Plus form Koh Lanta, one can easily visit Phi Phi and Krabi, and even go further south to Koh Lipe for a couple of days. From Koh Tao, its just Samui and Phangan, if you wanted full moon parties.

I did my DMT at Lanta Divers years ago. Immensely enjoyed the experience, the shop was very professional and the training was deliberate and patient. It was not a zero to hero factory. I understand Koh Lanta has changed a lot, but back then it was not that crazy of a town, lots of affordable accommodation and bars around. I suspect its more developed now.

Yes, King Cruiser is still diveable. I sometimes play hide and seek there. I go around a corner and hide in between the snapper and barracuda. The guests can not see me anymore :)

I've been to both (as well as Phi Phi). I think the issue revolves around where you plan to work as a DM after the training. I know some are fairly leery about DMs trained in Thailand (at least they have been in the past). When I dove Koh Tao, the operator I dove with had such ratty equipment I could barely find the armholes in the BCD I was given and had a first stage fail on a deep dive (Chumphon Pinnacle).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom