DMT - advice choosing between my top picks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SJ Sangalaki is another suggestion. I wonder if SJ offers two centres(Sangalaki and Sipadan) training for their DM course?
If the OP wants a wee bit of social life then all the SJ operations mentioned are OUT and Koh Tao comes out trumps.

Hi everyone, I don’t have many dive connects thus far, so your opinions are greatly appreciated!
I have narrowed down my DMT to a couple options and wondering thoughts/opinions on the cause they all have pros/cons:
Ideally I want to intern somewhere, get the best training possible, and set myself up for the most career opportunities. I’d rather learn above and beyond and give more time and possibly pay a hair more than half ass it or take an easy/cheap way out and cut corners. Not sure if I want more Eco or Tourist at this point. Drawn to warm water, a variety of marine life and the big things (mantas/whale sharks/whales/dolphins... as I’m sure most people are), and I’d definitely not a party girl, but I’m an extrovert so some social aspects but a relaxed vibe would be ideal.
Anyway, current thoughts are:

1. Koh Tao - Roctopus
Pro - EcoDivemaster 3mo intern - duel cert., well known, relaxed yet fun atmosphere. And I’ve gotten the best vibes of all the places I’ve talked to from them. Job potential after.
Cons: the reputation that “everyone goes to Koh Tao”

2. Philippines - Marine Conservation
Pros - scientific specialty that involves advanced - above an beyond training both in dive techniques and Biology
Cons - all science focus, no view of the industry as a whole/tourist perspective.

I also liked the companies Scuba Junkie in Komodo based on location and the currents might make for great training, but that’s 6weeks no intern, no above Eco training and no after direct job potential based on visas. Malapascua in the Philippines, but when I wrote them it seemed more business-y and sell-ish, so as silly as a weird vibe sounds it didn’t resonate with me.

Second question-
I do still need my rescue class. On one hand I think it would be great to diversify and take rescue in one place (day Komodo or Malapascua), and then do DMT elseware... but it seems like places want you to do everything with them, and I can understand the pros with that too, that they know you/learn you better, there’s a bigger personal investment since they have you for longer, consistency of training, and of course money savings.
Do you think it’s best to diversify or stay in one place?

Again, any opinions about any given places, experiences, specific operations, etc, all is very much appreciated!
Thank you!!

Dear fellow diver!! All your options are good if you are going to be given what you are looking for despite the diving. When choosing a Divemaster program I would not focus only in the diving but in the things I am going to learn, and how prepared to face a possible job as a Divemaster I am going to be. Do more reserch, take your time and choose according to your feelings!!

Having said that, I do agree with other opinions about the diving:

1-Komodo: I would say one of the best 5 places in the world to dive. The location between the Indian and Pacific Oceans makes Komodo a special place. It is true that during your DM you will not dive in all locations, because it is impossible to cover all area and mainly because you have to adapt your dives depending on peoples skills, environmental conditions (currents make some places at certain times of the day not diveable).
2-Malapascua: Great diving, great atmosphere, beautiful reefs, thresser sharks but a very small island. I only stayed there for 4 days and I enjoy it very much. If you want more info I have friends over there.
3-Mabul: Great Diving for macro but as others said it is unlikely you will be diving in SIpadan much, due to the restrictions in divers per day.
4-Koh Tao: I have not been there and all my opinions are biased by people/friends that have been there working or living. What I have heard is diving is not spectacular but living there is good!! Then it is up to you what you are looking for. I am not a fan of big companies (factories) either.

In the four options above you will be socializing with other fellow dms, divers and expats.

Hope this will help you

Take care

PS: I forgot to mention. When are you planning to do your DM? Take into consideration this and avoid crowded moments (high season) and weather conditions (preferably do not go during rainy season).

When choosing a Divemaster program I would not focus only in the diving but in the things I am going to learn, and how prepared to face a possible job as a Divemaster I am going to be. Do more research, take your time and choose according to your feelings!

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Hi everyone, I don’t have many dive connects thus far, so your opinions are greatly appreciated!
I have narrowed down my DMT to a couple options and wondering thoughts/opinions on the cause they all have pros/cons:
Ideally I want to intern somewhere, get the best training possible, and set myself up for the most career opportunities. I’d rather learn above and beyond and give more time and possibly pay a hair more than half ass it or take an easy/cheap way out and cut corners. Not sure if I want more Eco or Tourist at this point. Drawn to warm water, a variety of marine life and the big things (mantas/whale sharks/whales/dolphins... as I’m sure most people are), and I’d definitely not a party girl, but I’m an extrovert so some social aspects but a relaxed vibe would be ideal.
Anyway, current thoughts are:

1. Koh Tao - Roctopus
Pro - EcoDivemaster 3mo intern - duel cert., well known, relaxed yet fun atmosphere. And I’ve gotten the best vibes of all the places I’ve talked to from them. Job potential after.
Cons: the reputation that “everyone goes to Koh Tao”

2. Philippines - Marine Conservation
Pros - scientific specialty that involves advanced - above an beyond training both in dive techniques and Biology
Cons - all science focus, no view of the industry as a whole/tourist perspective.

I also liked the companies Scuba Junkie in Komodo based on location and the currents might make for great training, but that’s 6weeks no intern, no above Eco training and no after direct job potential based on visas. Malapascua in the Philippines, but when I wrote them it seemed more business-y and sell-ish, so as silly as a weird vibe sounds it didn’t resonate with me.

Second question-
I do still need my rescue class. On one hand I think it would be great to diversify and take rescue in one place (day Komodo or Malapascua), and then do DMT elseware... but it seems like places want you to do everything with them, and I can understand the pros with that too, that they know you/learn you better, there’s a bigger personal investment since they have you for longer, consistency of training, and of course money savings.
Do you think it’s best to diversify or stay in one place?

Again, any opinions about any given places, experiences, specific operations, etc, all is very much appreciated!
Thank you!!
I would say do the rescue/ divemaster course where you live if you want any chance to use this certification. If it works out and you go on to an IDC/IE you will have a better chance getting classes at the LDS you trained at.

If money is no object then absolutely, Komodo or Sipadan are the best choice but don't they usually do a 4-week DMT? That's not long enough, in my opinion.

yeah exactly. I like that Koh Tao - (Roctopus) has an EcoDiveMaster 3 month program. While I want amazing diving - I also want the most experience possible. Not only to hone my skills as much as possible, but also learn the business. If Komodo has a 3 month Eco program it would be a no brainer, lol

Back
Top Bottom