DMing alone for the first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Gosh, this scares me!

I just got a phonecall from my instructor saying he can't be at the pool tonight, but the three open water students are coming!

I followed their progression through pool and theory (they still have to make their "real" dives) and I know they are quite good, but this doesn't put me so much at ease.

This is real life:boom:

And the papers for certification just went away last week!:shaking:

Me the teacher? :teach:

I'm a baby!:baby:

And I didn't manage to go diving last night;-0

I take it you are only rated a Divemaster???

Niether PADI or NAUI allow you in the pool (or OW) -teaching- students who have not yet attained their OW certification without an instructor with you.

If that is the case, then your DM insurance will not cover any liabilities you may incur during this time.

Other agencies may be different (I hope not) but I would really, really check into it. Maybe your instructor is testing you to see if you will go ahead and abort the class. Or possibly I missed something else germaine to the situation at hand.

I am an instructor in training, and yet I still would not attempt a class witout the proper supervision. Could I teach them skills? Sure, but my example of how I follow the rules would be very bad indeed. I would rather err on the side of caution than to be overly accomodating. It sounds as if the Instructor is trying to cover their butt for not being there by exposing yours.

I hope this came across as genuine concern rather than a lecture or a flame. Good luck in your decision.

Pete (and other DM's)...

In a somewhat related question. If the students just wanted more pool time to practice, can a DM supervise that?

Originally posted by chiara
I just got a phonecall from my instructor saying he can't be at the pool tonight, but the three open water students are coming!

as Netdoc says -- if the student's aren't certified, you shouldn't be in the pool with them teaching or otherwise - not without proper supervision.

Even if you've sent the paperwork off, until your certifying agency provides you with your #, and acknowledges you as a DM you won't be in the eyes of the law. I wouldn't want you to have any problems.

Originally posted by TexasMike
In a somewhat related question. If the students just wanted more pool time to practice, can a DM supervise that?

If the student is not certified, you're not covered with the insurance.

I hope the only reason you are meeting the students at the pool is to tell them the Instructor can't be there! Talk about a :boom: !

You don't mention which agency but I can't imagine any that allow a DM the water alone with students.

Like the others have said....this isn't right.

Originally posted by TexasMike
Pete (and other DM's)...

But the short answer is :nono: "no" :nono: for PADI and NAUI. THEY can go on their own (not that I would encourage that) but YOU had best stay clear. This is a PADI/NAUI "no no" for sure.

I'll assume we are talking about PADI for the moment...

The one exception I would offer is that the Training Bulletin for Q1 2002 allows a DM to independantly conduct the Skin Diving Skills section of Confined Water Dive Four.

However, as already mentioned, unlike other certifications in which an Instructor can issue a temporary card, a DM certification is not complete until it has been verified by PADI (and they've charged you the appropriate dues of course).

Then you've got the entire other issue of whether not your are insured... and whether you have the "Assisting Only" insurance which only covers you only as a Certified Assistant, or the full DM insurance which allows you to conduct certain things (such as what I mentioned above) independantly.

If the agency is PADI you as a DM are not supposed to be instructing students without an instructor present. If I was asked to do it I would refuse. You could loose your DM rating with PADI if it were reported and the instructor get get in trouble as well not to mention the liability factor. I say NO!

Scott

Back
Top Bottom