DM Salary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not so sure about that, rjack321. Some diveshop owners eventually retire too....

There are more reasons to want out of the game than poor performance.

R..

Diver0001:
I'm not so sure about that, rjack321. Some diveshop owners eventually retire too....

There are more reasons to want out of the game than poor performance.

R..

True, true.

But I've seen quite a number of shops change hands locally, and many of the new owners were shocked at how little they made once they got into it.

R.

Down here in Key Largo--the running line is

"The only person to make a million at runnind a dive shop---started with 2 million and got out quick!!!"

I work full time as an instructor, and if it wasn't for my retirement pension, things would sure get "iffy" during hurricane season and slow season!

Pat

Diver0001:
The threads are already there. As a rule DM's work at best for free fills and kick backs. In resort locations they live from tips and other sources of income.

Professional instructors in big resort locations like Cancun can make up to about 20k a year give or take. A few make more but they're really the exceptions.

Instructors and DM's like many on Scubaboard who treat teaching as a hobby-job generally don't make enough to get ahead. The odd one has to lay-in for the honor and most more-or-less break even.

R..

Every year I go back to the academy where I was certified and help out with the classes where I can (mostly just mooch air and herd the slowest kid). Anyway, every year there is a new college intern from Ball State working with the instructors. I don't know much about the degree program they come from but are you aware of any tenured professorships as instructors? That could be an attractive option, if the position exists.

On a related note, a good friend of mine is DMing in Utila and says that he's actually making money for the first time. How much, I don't know.

JB

The "pay" could be tips only. Like waiters and waitresses. If you are in the right place, that could be decent. I witnessed DMs doing two, 2 tank trips a day making about $120 per trip in Cozumel. $240 a day isn't too bad.

The only folks that I know that make money as a DM are single females in the Bay Islands who speak 3 or 4 languages.

Not aware of any others.

Linze1106:
No i do not know how to run a business just yet. Yet i know people who do, my in-laws own plenty of highly sucessful businesses, i don't see running the place being a problem.

As for profit within the first year, this is why i would be hoping to find a already established shop in the area. I think it would be easier than opening one from scratch.

but i can totally understand where you are coming from with the business side of it, and how most shops don't succeed. I know it is hard to run a business, but i believe myself as a confident person, and when i want something done, im gonna put forth the effort to get it done.

and hey, if it doesn't work out, i can say i tried. Live with no regrets.

I'm certainly not suggesting that you ignore whatever dreams you have. However I think dreamers don't necessarily make good businessmen/woman, and your obvious lack of knowledge about what is involved would need to be addressed in a big way.

The business owners I have known, and know fall into a few catagories. Any I have met (and my wife worked for a Congressman, so I've rubbed elbows with the ultra rich) that run multiple business generally don't know how to run anything, they just have a lot of money, and hire good people. They know how to spend their money, and make sure people are accountable.

The people who run successful small business generally work very hard at starting and running these things, and often they are family run business. This includes the owners of the LDS I use that has been around since 1959.

If you really want to understand how to run a dive business, I suggest you get a job in that field. You will certainly NOT gain the knowledge you need here unless people like Larry at Scubatoys feels like sharing this valuable information for no charge (highly unlikely).

The vauge and general questions you ask indicate that while you may have a large desire to get into the Scuba industry, you have very little knowledge of that industry. I'd suggest that another first step is becoming an instructor if you are not already one. EVERY owner at most every sucessful LDS in our area is a master instructor. How will you judge, hire, and treat instructors in a reasonable way if you are not qualified as one?

Just some thoughts, and this advice is free! :D

I managed to make about a grand a week doing light marine services at least during the summer. I like so many others who hace carved out a wonderfull niche for ones self I gave it up for a woman, the right choice of course, just not good for my dive life.

We're moving down to NZ for a year, near poor knights island, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for getting into the paying portion of the recreational world. I think my actual dive experiance resume is pretty darned good, but my only official certifications are AOW, Nitrox, and Rescue. What should my next course of action be to be a shop employee or a DM on a boat?

In Thailand I would get paid about $20 a day for being a DM and running the dive boat operations. You have to love it to do it.

kgdiver:
In Thailand I would get paid about $20 a day for being a DM and running the dive boat operations. You have to love it to do it.

$20 is plenty to live on in Thailand....if you are not a big drinker.

alot of the DMs I have met when diving in S/E Asia got a small amount per diver 1$ ish but they got free accomadation or at least discounted, and discounted food at the affiliated resort resturaunt and they got to dive for free.....

what more can you ask for.

I do hear alot of instuctors try to use a DM as their personal slave......when I am a DM (next year) you just try it....LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom