Dm Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Aloha Friends,
I was wondering if I bought the divemaster crew pack and did the eLearning, wouldn't I just need to do the practical experience on the boat with a dive instructor and pass the test? I figure if I do this I wouldn't have to do any "classroom" study with a dive school. I'd just study everything on my own and do dive training with my instructor friend.

I only know PADI, but assume most agencies are similar. You have to do a lot of "components", including watermanship skills ("swim tests") which are usually (but don't have to be) done in a pool. One of the other main components is getting all the basic skills up to demonstration quality--again, usually in a pool, as that seems logistically easier. As well, you have to "shadow" at least one OW course (again, pool--also in OW), and one continuing ed. course (ie. AOW, Rescue, etc.). Best to just contact the agency and find out all that is required, and what the schedule would be if you are able to do it all with your instructor friend. A fair bit of the skill work requires a buddy, and I would assume that would not mean the instructor who is evaluating you. That's how it went for me anyway. Things change over time--with PADI now having a component of Deep diving and Search & Rescue, as well as a couple of added skills. Good luck.

For PADI I would not agree for a couple reasons. Most of the learning can be on your own but you will still need some classroom and what you really need is time with your instructor AND students.

Back
Top Bottom