DM Pay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where I am, there are three different kinds of DM gigs:

—Helping with OW, AOW, Rescue, Specialty courses: LDS pays nothing to DM. Students are encouraged to tip, but few tip much—and why should they pay above the agreed-upon course cost to have a higher student:instructor ratio? (Concerned non-diver moms who anxiously hover around the training site and see you’re looking out for their kids are the most reliable tippers, but you seldom get more than one per class.) DM gets free air and admission to dive site. Basically, it’s a non-revenue, experience-building day.

—Leading “Discover Local Diving” day trips. LDS organizes trip and pays DM a nominal fee. Some tips. DM gets free air, admission to dive sites and fee/tips that cover cost of gas and meals consumed along the way plus maybe a little bit.

DM on 6-pax charter boats. Tips only. Anywhere from $60-$120 for a half-day 2-tank trip.

Except for some young people on the charter boats, I don’t know anyone trying to make a full time job out of this. There seem to be a high proportion of retired military folks like me, working sporadically and not worrying about getting anything more than occasional pocket money.

In Canada...the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Acts...define what a worker is...and in order to be classified as a worker...and to be protected as a worker in the Act(s)...you have to receive money...free air/chickens/bags of flour...don't cut it...

Note that this is not universally accurate - it may be so for Ontario but is definitely not for Alberta. Can't comment on elsewhere.
https://www.wcb.ab.ca/assets/pdfs/employers/EFS_Who_do_i_have_to_cover.pdf
Unpaid workers are covered and employers are required to estimate what they 'should cost' and pay accordingly.
Volunteers for not-for-profits are not covered but can be if specific arrangements are made.

It is important for anyone working in an 'informal' industry to do their own research and make sure it is specific to the location where they are working.

Where I am, there are three different kinds of DM gigs:

—Helping with OW, AOW, Rescue, Specialty courses: LDS pays nothing to DM. Students are encouraged to tip, but few tip much—and why should they pay above the agreed-upon course cost to have a higher student:instructor ratio? (Concerned non-diver moms who anxiously hover around the training site and see you’re looking out for their kids are the most reliable tippers, but you seldom get more than one per class.) DM gets free air and admission to dive site. Basically, it’s a non-revenue, experience-building day.

—Leading “Discover Local Diving” day trips. LDS organizes trip and pays DM a nominal fee. Some tips. DM gets free air, admission to dive sites and fee/tips that cover cost of gas and meals consumed along the way plus maybe a little bit.

DM on 6-pax charter boats. Tips only. Anywhere from $60-$120 for a half-day 2-tank trip.

Except for some young people on the charter boats, I don’t know anyone trying to make a full time job out of this. There seem to be a high proportion of retired military folks like me, working sporadically and not worrying about getting anything more than occasional pocket money.
In California, many dive boats are chartered by dive shops who supply their own DM. As the DM is not part of the boat crew, they do not share in the tips. When I worked as a DM, I received "free" boat rides. Nothing more.

Yes yes yes--There are different definitions of "professional" -- ie. "professional level", acting "Professionally". Or maybe the idea that certain workers are professionals (doctors, lawyers, white collar people) and certain ones are not (works but flips burgers at McD or even long term jobs like letter carrier). Some school teachers (as was I) like to call it a profession. I prefer to call it a very important JOB. Call it what you wish. Maybe if we made what doctors & lawyers make I'd tend to call it a profession, I don't know and who cares? But all 4 examples I gave get paid at least SOME money. Again, all has has been discussed in depth on SB.
I'm not gunna bother with a poll, but my guess is the MOST COMMON definition of professional is being paid money.
The musicians in the band I play in who get paid are considered professionals. The people who play there without pay are considered (very good) amateurs.
IMO, a DM who works without getting paid money by a boss may be a very dedicated amateur who treats the job in a professional manner, and a professional officially with, and only in, the eyes of an agency.

Note that this is not universally accurate - it may be so for Ontario but is definitely not for Alberta. Can't comment on elsewhere.
https://www.wcb.ab.ca/assets/pdfs/employers/EFS_Who_do_i_have_to_cover.pdf
Unpaid workers are covered and employers are required to estimate what they 'should cost' and pay accordingly.
Volunteers for not-for-profits are not covered but can be if specific arrangements are made.

It is important for anyone working in an 'informal' industry to do their own research and make sure it is specific to the location where they are working.

Mike...

Was not intended to be ''universally'' accurate...nor was it implied it was...local jurisdiction statutes always come into play...the point was to insure you're protected...and to always ensure that you are working within your local jurisdiction definition of a ''worker''...so that you are covered...

Suggest reading your Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Act...

If you're a DM...and working on a dive boat for ''fills and favors''...are you working...are you volunteering...or are you just along for the ride...are you covered by your local workers compensation regulations...or are you not...

It's especially important if you think you are...only to find out after you've been injured that you are not...more important yet if it's an injury which may prevent you from ever working again...

W...

FWIW, to me DM is the worst possible way to recoup any financial gain from diving. You may get to dive some cool spots or with some cool folks but compensation compared to other forms of professional and semi-professional diving is heinous.

I know guys who make more diving charters for fossils.

Lobster and spearfisherman will see far more varied spots and more diving but it is tedious and the hours long.

Bottom cleanering and hull maintenance divers not only get decent money but occasionally get invited out on those yachts they are working on.

The only DMs I know that do well are on megayacht charters and they often wear many hats to do so. 6 figures US is possible if you hold enough certifications in addition to DM.

Here in Italy "professionals" and "workers" are two distinct things, usually not overlapping.
A worker is paid by hour, independent on the result, and usually has a contract defining work time and wage.
It can be a permanent employee, or a temporary one. A lot of taxes, social security, mandatory pension funds, etc. are applied on the wage, so the net income is usually 1/3 of the gross cost for the employer.
A professional works for a project, and is paid only when this is accomplished, independent on the time required. He is required to have a VAT number, and to issue invoices subjected just to VAT (currently 22%). So, for the same net income, hiring a professional is much cheaper for the employer than hiring an employee (a worker).
Then there is a third category of people, who are not workers (not being hired as employees), nor are professionals (not having a VAT ID). It is what is called "black work", it pays no taxes, no social security, no pension. It is illegal, of course, and still is quite common.
I suppose that most DMs are in this third category.

It is interesting to see so many definitions of professional - some culturally or geographically based. I have always thought of being professional was independent of getting paid. In my mind, a professional is a person who performs a job or assignment using a specialized skill set usually acquired by a specific, often rigorous learning process and/or mentoring. A physician, volunteering for free or doing a mission work (where often he has to pay his own additional money to pay for the mission trip) is still a professional. Being a professional usually abides you to a certain “code” or “behavior “ and sometimes attire to look and act “professional”.
Using this logic, flipping burgers is a job. DM is a professional...

In the UK the distinction for whether the authorities take an interest is commercial not professional.

We have specific legislation for diving “The Diving at Work Regulations 1997”. It doesn’t mater if an individual is getting paid in money or in kind, they’re still getting paid. In addition if the customer is paying for the service then it also falls under the regulations.

So a DM would be classed at work in the UK whether paid or not.

These regulations also make it illegal to teach elementary recreational scuba without a standby diver and/or a rescue diver in the water (in case the instructor needs assistance) depending on the outcome of the documented risk assessment. There have been a few successful prosecutions by the HSE for flouting the regulations.

Those teaching in a club - where membership includes the award of diver qualifications - are except from the regulations; i.e. BSAC, SAA and SSAC: PADI clubs doesn’t qualify.

A lot of divemasters do get tips. So, here is a tip for you. Don't count on getting paid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom