DM PADI swim test Friday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think one of the biggest things with the 400 is pace, pace yourself. Starting out to fast is a common problem. To prepare for mine I spent some pool time getting my pace down. Remember my first day in the pool and started way to fast.

Good luck!!!

400m sounds great. SSI's is 800 meters, but with snorkel, fins and mask (I think PADI's is a straight swim). I have a shoulder problem where I have to work to get my right arm above my shoulder- can get to valves, etc., no problem but putting repetitive force on it is painful. So with my legs and large stiff fins, I was able to do it in the maximum 20 minutes without using my arms, and was not far off the preferred 16 minutes. Now for our 200m tow, I had the privilege of towing someone who is 300#+. I did it in the preferred time, but wow, what a drag... ;-) and was I breathing hard.

Good luck. Many of us dread it, but most of us succeed, as you will.

Terry

You reduce the need for luck with preparation. Hopefully, you've done that. Now go rock that skill!

I will wish you good luck, but more importantly I will recommend you swim and become an excellent swimmer. As a dm I spend a lot of time swimming people back to shore, swimming to retrieve needed equipment someone left behind, and swimming platforms to their location. As a professional you need to be much more than a marginal swimmer. You are the safety guy. You are the rescue guy. More than others a dive pro needs to have all the skills needed to be the reason diving is safe, including excellent swimming and rescue skills. Don't "get by." Get good.
DivemasterDennis

No S**T Sherlock. . . 6:30 for 400 meters is a 1:37 / 100 m pace. Unless you're comfortable with flip turns, you're not likely to get there. . .

I thought the scoring was:

under 6 min = 5
6 to 8 min = 4
8 to 10 min = 3
10 to 12 min = 2
more than 12 min = 1

It doesn't have to be done in a pool so turns aren't required

Thanks guys

---------- Post added July 4th, 2013 at 08:50 PM ----------

Texan Scuba in Huntsville. Been swimming every week. Love swimming but I'm not the fastest. I'll let y'all know how it goes

---------- Post added July 5th, 2013 at 02:14 PM ----------

Well, 400 scored a 1. 800 scored a 4, tread 15. Tow and underwater gear exchange tomorrow

---------- Post added July 5th, 2013 at 02:16 PM ----------

Halfway there. 1 on the 400. 4 on the 800. 5 on tread

Good luck this is really the only part that worries me about getting my DM this fall. This is why I'm going to spend the next few months working up to it so hopefully I can pull a 3 on it.

Well i passed and its over. Man that was tough. The 100 yard tow seemed like a piece of cake till the last 20 yards. My legs are feeling it.

400m sounds great. SSI's is 800 meters, but with snorkel, fins and mask (I think PADI's is a straight swim).

PADI has a 400m swim without swim aids, a 800m swim with mask, fins, and snorkel, a 15 minute tread or float with hands out of the water for the last 2 minutes and a 100m diver tow with both divers in full gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom